Chantecler Thread!

Pics
For anyone who was interested in the crele Chantecler project I posted about quite a while back...it's not happening. The cock became insanely aggressive, and it's looking like he's not even fertile...he's been tried, convicted, and is scheduled to meet the executioner on Saturday....
hmm.png

Such a shame...he was such a pretty boy....

Is anyone in the northeast raising Partridge Chanteclers? I'm in Maine. I have a pair of Partridge Chanteclers from which I am now raising five offspring, one cockerel and four pullets that are about four months old. I hope to hatch many 3rd generation this summer.

Anyway, just curious if there is someone else following this thread that is in the northeast and raising Partridge Chanteclers.

Is anyone in the northeast raising Partridge Chanteclers? I'm in Maine. I have a pair of Partridge Chanteclers from which I am now raising five offspring, one cockerel and four pullets that are about four months old. I hope to hatch many 3rd generation this summer.

Anyway, just curious if there is someone else following this thread that is in the northeast and raising Partridge Chanteclers.

I am in NY and have 8 hens and a roo-Partridge. Eggs are coming on now so I am hoping to be able to hatch soon.

What was the original cross to make that beautiful creole color??????????
So sorry he became aggressive. What a hunka hunka love he is.

For anyone who was interested in the crele Chantecler project I posted about quite a while back...it's not happening. The cock became insanely aggressive, and it's looking like he's not even fertile...he's been tried, convicted, and is scheduled to meet the executioner on Saturday....
hmm.png

Such a shame...he was such a pretty boy....

I am in NY and have 8 hens and a roo-Partridge. Eggs are coming on now so I am hoping to be able to hatch soon.

I don't expect eggs until spring -- they'll be 6 months old on about March 21st. Did yours start laying in the winter, or were they laying last fall too? My one hen is a pretty consistent winter layer since I've been using a light in the coop.

My PC eggs are on the small side. Is that your experience as well? I did not expect jumbo eggs, but I did expect large eggs. I used 4 earlier today when a recipe that called for "3 large eggs", for instance.

I don't expect eggs until spring -- they'll be 6 months old on about March 21st.  Did yours start laying in the winter, or were they laying last fall too?  My one hen is a pretty consistent winter layer since I've been using a light in the coop.

My PC eggs are on the small side.  Is that your experience as well?  I did not expect jumbo eggs, but I did expect large eggs.  I used 4 earlier today when a recipe that called for "3 large eggs", for instance.

I am hoping they get bigger, right now they are medium size. I am used to the xl - jumbo Australorp size. Even if they do not get bigger they are really starting to lay. Yesterday we got 6/8 hens. I am going to start a hatch in February to check fertility.

egg size is a dissapointment, my girl tries hard (by that i mean the eggs aren't getting any bigger around just longer, like torpedoes)... I want to make egg size something i select for but i'm not sure how to go about it. everyone i talk to who breeds them says egg size is not great.

I’m in PA with two pairs of Partridge. I have to agree that egg size isn’t very impressive, but they are getting larger with age. They went from small to medium in five months.
lol.png
Thankfully, they are good layers.

Last edited:
I’m in PA with two pairs of Partridge. I have to agree that egg size isn’t very impressive, but they are getting larger with age. They went from small to medium in five months.
lol.png
Thankfully, they are good layers.

My Chantes lay a decently large to Jumbo egg. They are about 18 months old.

Back
Top Bottom