Charities

soap&eggs

Songster
9 Years
Jul 22, 2010
To start with i really do not want to start a debate on choices - i am trying to find answers . My family has wore me out with in fighting - so i am turning to strangers for simple advice & opinions ..
I have donated money to almost every known charity thinking i was doing a good thing .. Helping the less fourtnate .. Helping for cancer research .. Helping the homeless .. Church groups , school groups , veterns groups , emergency help groups , animal groups , sick children hospitals.. Ronals mcdonald homes . Always salv . army .. Local & national . You name it i probably donated to them . My donations have been as little as loose change to large bills and larger checks .

I recently found out how donations given to cancer research groups - pink ribbon for breast cancer. Relay for life - Actually gave monies they collected to planned parenthood . Also united way apparently also does . Not sure how many others do . How do you know what the donations goes to ? Asking the one collecting donations wouldnt know , and im sure by somehow contacting the ceo of these charities id be given a blow off line .

My problem with this is i am pro- life - I will not judge anyone who for what reason they had abortion but saddens me they felt was only choice . That said ..... How do i find out which charities do not give monies raised thur donations to planned parenthood ? Wish i had the choice , choice where my donations go .. Also my tax dollars .

My next question is regarding obamacare ... Is it free insurance or do you pay for it ? Seeing as how it now covers so many - is there still a need to donate to charities such as st judes , march of dimes anymore ? These kids now will have healthcare to cover medical & not relying on donations to help .

I will still continue to donate to charities but the more i am finding out on them the less inclined i am to do so . No longer will i donate if i disagree with issues morally against by beliefs .

I sincerely am Not trying to start any polical fights . Had enough of that . These are questions that cause major fights with people in my life who i love dearly but are too fired up & too hard headed to see where i am coming from . Thanks .

If you are pro-life.. simply do a google search for pro-life charities.. :confused:
As for Obamacare..no its not free.. not by a long shot.

Just for the record, Planned Parenthood works to provide sex education and birth control to prevent unwanted pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases. It also provides mammograms and other health care to women who cannot afford it otherwise. Abortions are a last resort and not their primary reason for being. That said, google around and you should be able to find what you are looking for. The biggest concern for me in choosing a charity to support is to find out how much of the donated money actually goes for the what it is supposed to. Some "charities" spend 80% or more of the money they take in for fundraising and other administrative costs and only 20% or so for their cause.

Redhen ::: you are correct , in saying not free ... I meant for person recieving obamacare - is it free to them or do they have to make monthly pymts like we do on health insur... Also now wondering , After using it , dies it cover like my insur. Of 80-20 coverage ?

Cassie:::: Pp i found out does not do mammograms - they apparently only recommend a dr for patients to go to . I think i read somewhere out of all their clinics only one had mammogram machine , all others did not . And YES i agree on what percentage goes to actually helping instead of administrations pockets . Can say i always gave with the heart but now my eyes are wide open . My time of computer useage is limited , only use when i visit daughter , so i best get going on web searches see what i can find ......... Thanks .

It is fairly easy to find out what various charities fund or do not fund. Everything from local to international charities. Some larger ones will have more overhead, like the American Heart Association, but they still do good work. I would be careful of any charity that spends more than 25% of it's money on overhead.

Our biggest donations (both money and time) go to a local food pantry that also provides other services. I like it because it directly helps those in need, in my community. This pantry serves 1200 families a month, provides computers and coats for kids, $200,000 in free clothing (with adult clothing valued at $3/each), etc. It does it all with 4 1/2 paid employees.

There are certain organizations that provide free services that are crucial to many people. Shriners Hospitals provide free medical services for kids. Their burn hospitals can make an unbelievable difference in people's lives.

It might take a little effort, but you should be able to find something that fits your priorities. Ask yourself questions like about whether you want to provide local, national or international help. Research funding or direct charity? Medical or social?

As for Obamacare, it is mandated insurance coverage. It works like any other insurance. There will always be people in need, an 80/20 insurance plan with a high deductible can still break families that are faced with a catastrophic medical condition.

Thank you mom'sfolly .... Yes my work is going to be a long hard one ..... Was easier when i didnt know as much as i do now .

Did search - trying different approaches to gain info i was searching for and whoooo to my surprise ... I even found my BYC original question listed - hadnt realized what was written here was shared with the rest of the world - i truely thought was just for members only .. Will rethink of ever posting anthing ever again ~

this is part of what i copied .... ...............New boycott targets include Mesa Air Group and Trinity Investments, but the main portion of the boycott list is dedicated to corporations that LDI has been targeting for their Planned Parenthood donations for some time.

Some of the companies that occupy a continued place on the LDI boycott list include:  Adobe, AOL, Bank of America, Bayer, Chevron, Darden Restaurants (Olive Garden, Red Lobster, etc.), eBay (PayPal, etc.), Laureate Education, Midas, Nationwide (insurance), Nike, Select Comfort (Sleep Number bed), Southwest Airlines (Jet Blue, etc.), Starwood Hotels (Aloft, Element, Four Points, Le Méridien, Sheraton, St. Regis, W, Westin, etc.), Symantec, Wells Fargo, and Whole Foods.

The pro-life group also maintains a list of prominent nonprofit organizations that LDI says “are associated with Planned Parenthood and/or its agenda.” The organizations may not necessarily make donations to the abortion business but may have some sort of relationship with it, such as joint programs, allowing Planned Parenthood leaders access to its members, or in other ways.

That list from LDI includes the following new groups: Comic Relief, Eagles Clubs, Elks Clubs, Elton John AIDS Foundation, and the Red Cross. Continuing members of the list of nonprofits that associate with Planned Parenthood include: AARP, American Cancer Society, Amnesty International, Audubon Society, Boys & Girls Clubs, Camp Fire, Dr. Phil Foundation, Girl Scouts, Girls Inc., Human Rights Watch, Juvenile Diabetes Foundation, Kiwanis Clubs, Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, Lions Clubs, March of Dimes, Michael J. Fox Foundation, Muscular Dystrophy Association, Paralyzed Veterans of America, Parkinson’s Disease Foundation, Ronald McDonald House Charities, Rotary Clubs, Salvation Army, Save the Children, Sierra Club, Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation, YMCA, and YWCA.

This truely is overwelming for me .... How many boxes of cookies i bought from GS ?? How many dollars have i dropped into the red kettle ?? How many dollars & miles did i walk & wear the skin on my feet until blisters formed. To give monies i raised to susan komen ??? Yes is eye opener for sure .... I am struggling inside. Trying to understand what buisness doesnt give to pp ?? Are they that strong & powerful of organization ?? Have just read of the millions given in ads for obama .
My insides are screaming .. What a fool i have been . Never again . If i cant trust the fundraisers - donation boxs to give to where they claim they use it for then i will not give anymore . Which makes me sound bitter & selfish i know ... And i have much more work to do in finding one charity that doesnt give to pp ... Gonna be a long hard search by the looks of it ...

Somehow I think this entire post is a scam...but, just in case you are serious I have done an independent search and have found that the North Korean Help Society for the benefit of women who scrub floors has no relationship at all with Planned Parenthood or with any of the legitimate charities and companies you have listed as "verbotin"

I think your information source is biased, but that is my opinion. I love Planned Parenthood. I have had a least one friend who found out they had cancer through PP, and countless friends who received birth control and annual exams.

But if Right to LIfe issues are your main concern in giving, then you should investigate based on that. You should also check more than one source. I would use Snopes and Politifact for some information. The GSA charges seem to be fairly well refuted.

Mom, I am going to investigate and see if BYC has a "sainted spirit" award and I plan on nominating you. Also, if there is such a thing as reincarnation and I happen to come back as some bratty, spoiled kid, I want you as my mother.

Back
Top Bottom