Charity- animals for 3rd world countries?

Heifer is a great organization. They even train and make sure people have the right facilities and knowledge before they give them animals. I thought about buying a flock of chicks for them.

However, one thing that should be realized is that you're not purchasing the actual animal itself, so they can't tell you who got your flock of chicks, for example. If it doesn't go for the chicks, it will go towards another person's animal or project. It's only practical. If, lets say, 100 people donated flocks of chicks but only 25 people actually needed them, they would have an excess amount of money that could be used for other projects not doing anything. But, yes, they do actually give animals and plants for a lot of people in need, so no worries there.

There is also World Vision, Compassion International, and Samaritan's Purse. They all offer opportunities to purchase livestock animals for needy people in other countries, giving them the means to feed their own families better and to have a means of deriving an income from them.

I thought it was clever of World Vision to begin offering ducks to people in flood-prone areas of the world. As their catalog says, "a flood that could be a disaster for a chicken is just an adventure to a duck!"

I receive the Heifer International catalogue every year and have been campaigning within our families to make a family gift donation for Christmas instead of spending it on ourselves. We don't need anything (we don't have small children-youngest is in college), so I would like to spend our money on people who do need it. What a great feeling to be able to make this kind of difference in someone's life! Way to go Imp and thanks for inspiring the rest of us.
thumbsup.gif

Heifer International is one that Oprah highlighted on her show. they showed a family, single mom & kids, that because of one goat was able to feed, cloth & educated the entire family, and they also started a business with that one little goats help!

Brody's Broodello :

Heifer International is one that Oprah highlighted on her show. they showed a family, single mom & kids, that because of one goat was able to feed, cloth & educated the entire family, and they also started a business with that one little goats help!

I saw that, too. There's even a childrens' book about it called Beatriz's Goat. One of the kids, I think, travels around the world now.​

My father in law is a retired Lutheran pastor and works with an organization called Food for the Poor. He has been to Haiti, India, Jamaica to see what the organization does first hand. I have seen the pictures and it is amazing what they do for the poor of the world. You can buy food to be distributed or you can also buy farms animals or even clean water or shelter for those in need.
I think they do great things but it might not be for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom