chasing and biting

Fuzzbut

Chirping
10 Years
Jun 21, 2013
I have a Black Aussie hen, B'elana that likes to hunt me. At least that's what it feels like. She will sneak up on me sometimes and wait for me to start walking and then she either slams into my leg or bites me. Today was the first time she actually bit me hard enough to make a mark and it wasn't until I sat down that she did it. When shes not sneaking she will see me and come running behind me and slam into me but if I stop then she stops immediately and just stairs at me and waits for me to start moving again.If I walk fast then shes more likely to bite. More and more these days I wind up stepping on her feet because shes on me before I know it.
Her sister, Nugget, is very sweet and will run after me also but never agressive. She will run fast to get in front of me and then squat to be pet or will sit on my feet if I'm still. If I bend over in the yard, B'elana always runs right over and sizes me up. She bobs the head and studies me before attempting to jump on my back. The times that I let her on my back, she will just sit there all nice and pretty like shes telling everyone that she owns me but she doesnt peck at all when shes up there. Any ideas?

Yes, I think she's placing herself above you on the pecking order. I don't know why she's doing that.

One of my black australorps, Mother Clucker, used to attack me too. No one believed a chicken could leave a bruise the size I had after she bit me. She no longer attacks me. Whatever I was doing to incite her, I've evidently stopped doing.

I would not let a bird do that.....
......she's trying (and succeeding) to dominate you, it may only get worse if you allow it to continue.
I do not let birds fly up and land on me for the same reason.

If she does it again, grab her and hold her to the ground with your hand on her back,
'peck' her on the head with your finger tips until she stops struggling. Couple rounds of that and she should stop.

'Be' the 'head hen'!

......she's trying (and succeeding) to dominate you, it may only get worse if you allow it to continue.

If she does it again, grab her and hold her to the ground with your hand on her back,
'peck' her on the head with your finger tips until she stops struggling. Couple rounds of that and she should stop.

'Be' the 'head hen'!
Ok, I will definitely do this; thank you.

I had one do the same thing. I did not have to grab her and lay her down; I simply walked to her until she would move. If she didn't move a shove with my foot enticed her to move. After a day or two the behavior stopped. Me making her move illustrated my dominance over her.

Watch you flock and see group dynamics in action. "She who moves, looses" so move through the group, and expect everyone to respect your space. Your obnoxious hen is winning the ;who's on first' game, and she really needs to lose every encounter with you. Walk through her, don't let her stare at you, definitely no body contact she starts. Nobody jumps on me!!! Mary

Ok, I will definitely do this; thank you.

'Be' the 'head hen'!
It's working, It;s working!!!! Two days now and she stands back when I come near!! She is like a whole other bird. The first few times I "pecked" at her, she fought me and tried to bite me but I kept at it. The last time I had to do this, she hung her head down and got real still.When I let her go she just shuffled off quiety and went about her way. Yay.... thank you thank you.

Back
Top Bottom