1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chasing without Pecking

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BlueJaye, Sep 14, 2013.

1. BlueJaye

BlueJaye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Colorado
    I have a flock of 5 pullets I raised from chicks (all different breeds - 6 months old) and recently added a 2 yr old Modern Game bantam. Everyone has accepted the little girl except for one of my D'Uccles. She chases the modern game but never pecks her. What is this all about, and what can I do to stop it?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    If they are both pullets, probably a dominance thing from the d'Uccle telling the game to stay out of her way. If the d'Uccle is the only one causing problems you could try locking her up for a day or two to give the game time to get more established in the flock. You are sure the d'Uccle is a pullet and not a rooster?

3. BlueJaye

BlueJaye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Colorado
    Yes, she is a pullet. That's what we were planning on doing. We had done the same thing with our EE, and she is much more pleasant now... guess it's time for "Pepper" to go into time out! ;-)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by