Pecking order

Jayteetee

Chirping
Jan 21, 2024
Hello brains trust, I need some help. The order they appear below, is the order that I’ve had them:
I have 2x 8 week old polish. 1 male, 1 female
I have 1x pekin 5 week cockerel
1x 8 week old bantam australorp pullet
1x16 week Ancona pullet

Ancona & australorp came home on the same day but from different breeders.

How do I determine the pecking order? Everyone seems to be getting on fine and hanging out together. My little pekin bantam has always been very confident and will run up to me to get treats but he’s the smallest one there. No one is pecking, chasing. The 16 week Ancona is the biggest but she’s so nervous. I really cant see her being the boss. And the Polish boy is so laid back- stands tall but doesn’t make any noises.help!
9B014149-1F30-46C6-AD86-22A70BC47232.jpeg

Attachments

• 9A20B025-9BB1-4EE7-AA1B-CDF0F544D13A.jpeg
    9A20B025-9BB1-4EE7-AA1B-CDF0F544D13A.jpeg
    981.3 KB · Views: 5
They're all still young, so they probably need more time to determine pecking order. I'm sure once they're older you'll notice it, I'd just give it some more time! :)
Thanks for your reply. I’ve been intrigued. The Ancona pullet needed to be rehomed because it was getting picked on by other chickens. Apparently it was so fearful & used to run away and hide. Here it seems more relaxed. I suppose if there’s no established pecking order she’s not getting bullied.

Thanks for your reply. I’ve been intrigued. The Ancona pullet needed to be rehomed because it was getting picked on by other chickens. Apparently it was so fearful & used to run away and hide. Here it seems more relaxed. I suppose if there’s no established pecking order she’s not getting bullied.
Poor girl! Well she has a new wonderful flock now! I'm sure she'll fit right in.

Back
Top Bottom