Chat room for non religious poultry keepers! :D

The two dun mottled looking ones, uh, these two:

View attachment 3699997

I do see a little bit of patterning in their feathers that I wouldn't expect from what I was seeing in their chick down, but that probably just means they are not genetically solid colored (E or E^R based) with mottling as I had thought. Possibly partridge (e^b) based instead, since that gene would make brown chick down as well. (Editing, going back and looking at those first pictures you posted of them after they hatched, I do think I'm seeing e^b partridge type patterning in their chick down now!) That means they could be patterned more when fully feathered, with gold, yellowish, or reddish tones in the neck, shoulders, saddle, or chest. They do still look diluted to dun, however, so I suspect they'll still be mostly brown overall. Also I love them both very much, they are going to be so gorgeous 😍

Other than them, I don't see anything that's too far off what I expected at this point. 🙂

Thank you for such an analysed answer! Partridge is more dominant on the Locus than the wheaten, right? (I hope I remember it correctly). So paired with the wheaten serama girls (assuming it comes from Gaga), they'd all be Partridge based, correct?

Thank you for such an analysed answer! Partridge is more dominant on the Locus than the wheaten, right? (I hope I remember it correctly). So paired with the wheaten serama girls (assuming it comes from Gaga), they'd all be Partridge based, correct?

Just the opposite; wheaten (E^Wh) is dominant over partridge (e^b). I believe partridge is the least dominant of the e-locus genes that are well studied, even less dominant than the wildtype e+.

That means that both parents would have to carry it in order for there to be chicks expressing it, so Gaga has at least one copy of the gene. Since it is so recessive, crossing him to Wheaten would probably just make more Wheatens or genetically similar patterns like Columbian or Black Tail, depending on what other genes are at play in the cross.

Just the opposite; wheaten (E^Wh) is dominant over partridge (e^b). I believe partridge is the least dominant of the e-locus genes that are well studied, even less dominant than the wildtype e+.

That means that both parents would have to carry it in order for there to be chicks expressing it, so Gaga has at least one copy of the gene. Since it is so recessive, crossing him to Wheaten would probably just make more Wheatens or genetically similar patterns like Columbian or Black Tail, depending on what other genes are at play in the cross.

Oh how wonderful! That's great news, since I really like wheatens, especially females. I'm getting more and more excited about this!

IMG_3636.jpeg

Ah, yeah, for having the more flashy and 'colorful' plumage, it sure seems like a lot of roosters of various patterns all look more or less the same, and that they often don't have as many colors, or as pretty of colors, as their female counterparts do!

My personal favorite variety is silver duckwing and all of the various dilutions of it (blue, fawn, lavender, etc.). I just love how the hens look, and the roosters are rather striking as well. :love But as far as my tastes go, I don't really mind any varieties except for solid buff and solid white, as those both are just so boring to me when you see all the other colors you can have in chickens!

Back
Top Bottom