Chat room for non religious poultry keepers! :D

Honey glazed chicken and broccoli-cheese orzo. 😋

Yeah, and those first eggs can be weird. Hopefully they'll get things figured out soon for you. After a few weeks I'm sure they'll be laying like pros! 🙂
Sounds fancy. That's two of my favorite things together, honey, & chicken:drool.

That's interesting!

It makes me so sad every time I see a soft shelled or broken egg because I'm so excited that they've finally started laying! But less than 1/2 the eggs I've gotten have been edible. 😭
Wish I've taken pictures of the dents she made.

Hopefully things will get better, for you.

Chickens are crazy about raw egg for some reason. 😬
Hope it's not a bother for me to join in, but I can vouch for this. I toss raw eggs to my chickens occasionally; whenever there's an overload or I have bad eggs to get rid of, and at this point in time I have one when who seems to recognize the sound of an egg cracking. I cracked one on the other side of the coop one night after all my birds had gone to roost, and within a minute she was beside me to eat it. I don't have egg pecking issues, but if I toss a cracked egg for them, it's devoured in less than a minute.

Dinner tonight: Toasted buffalo chicken dip sandwiches to eat with lentil soup I made last night. Maybe salad. tea. lemon cake.

I have some brown leghorns that just started laying, the eggs are huge! but the timing is still random. Someone else started laying too, just not sure which hen. A skinny black & white speckled hen has been hanging out around the nest boxes but she's the most skittish bird I have and pretty much explodes in screeching panic whenever I look directly at her (she's probably faint dead away if I caught her). She is a random hen, came with some other chickens, maybe an Ancona? I think she lays white eggs so she may be laying, too. Someone laid a brown egg last week and I got one green one someone popped out in the pasture.
I have always seen that the rapid weather changes thiss time of year keep them from forming a predictable lay schedule, any one else have that?

A skinny black & white speckled hen has been hanging out around the nest boxes but she's the most skittish bird I have and pretty much explodes in screeching panic whenever I look directly at her (she's probably faint dead away if I caught her). She is a random hen, came with some other chickens, maybe an Ancona? I think she lays white eggs so she may be laying, too.

Any pictures of her? She does sound like an Ancona from the description.

I have always seen that the rapid weather changes thiss time of year keep them from forming a predictable lay schedule, any one else have that?

Oh, definitely! Actually, we're supposed to drop into single digits (F) again tonight and stay around there for a while, so I expect to see fewer eggs over the next week. 😩

Back
Top Bottom