Chat room for non religious poultry keepers! :D

Pics
Dinner tonight: Toasted buffalo chicken dip sandwiches to eat with lentil soup I made last night. Maybe salad. tea. lemon cake.

I have some brown leghorns that just started laying, the eggs are huge! but the timing is still random. Someone else started laying too, just not sure which hen. A skinny black & white speckled hen has been hanging out around the nest boxes but she's the most skittish bird I have and pretty much explodes in screeching panic whenever I look directly at her (she's probably faint dead away if I caught her). She is a random hen, came with some other chickens, maybe an Ancona? I think she lays white eggs so she may be laying, too. Someone laid a brown egg last week and I got one green one someone popped out in the pasture.
I have always seen that the rapid weather changes thiss time of year keep them from forming a predictable lay schedule, any one else have that?
That's an interesting dinner.

Same! Bean Soup with Turkey sausage and Spinach in it; Toasted garlic cheese bread on the side. Let's both be careful not make it to hot (temp!) :)
Never heard of it being made with that. We've always done it with, ham, & bacon, or both. Of course with carrots, & celery too.

One of Shadrach's hens was called Hannah. Another great name imo. Always wanted a girlfriend called Hannah.:D
The chickens get named rather differently. I often went for some kind of theme with them, naming their progeny in a similar fashion, Dink, Donk, Dent, Knock as examples, all related.:D

The chicken in question...first pic taken through chain link fence. When she even thinks I am looking for her she takes off. She's more nervous than my leghorns, I've seen her going in or out of nest boxes but have never seen her actually in one. She lays fairly large white eggs. She was a one off chick in with a batch from Ideal.
ancona 005.JPG
ancona 002.JPG
ancona 004.JPG

@Blue Raptor
You asked about where my name came from. It's from a biblical story in the Book Of Daniel.
I gave all the Muscovy ducks I used to care for biblical names. The most senior drake got called Shadrach and I like the name so I used it here.
Ah-ha! I knew it! That’s an awesome name though. :)

2 eggs on the poop board this morning 😭 (1 is severely misshapen - waiting for it to thaw to see if it's soft shelled or not)! Both frozen AF. It's 2°F here in Michigan.

(The black stuff is recycled coffee ground bedding that I use on the poop board)
16751635329367881047422887680448.jpg

The chicken in question...first pic taken through chain link fence. When she even thinks I am looking for her she takes off. She's more nervous than my leghorns, I've seen her going in or out of nest boxes but have never seen her actually in one. She lays fairly large white eggs. She was a one off chick in with a batch from Ideal.
ancona 005.JPG
ancona 002.JPG
ancona 004.JPG

Sure looks like an Ancona to me! 🙂 She's got one heck of a comb!

I have an Ancona from Meyer Hatchery, myself. She's not real flighty of humans but super meek with the other chickens and was picked on a lot when she was young. She turns 10 this year, though, so most of the other birds in my mixed flock with her are younger than her and don't try to push her around like when she was one of the youngest. 🥰

2 eggs on the poop board this morning 😭 (1 is severely misshapen - waiting for it to thaw to see if it's soft shelled or not)! Both frozen AF. It's 2°F here in Michigan.

(The black stuff is recycled coffee ground bedding that I use on the poop board)
View attachment 3391393

Ah, man :hmm As long as you have them on a proper feed and have provided oyster shell on the side, they should figure it out eventually, though. :fl

We didn't quite get as cold as y'all up there, brr! 🥶 They were predicting 9°F for us (in northern Indiana), but we only hit 12° here.

Back
Top Bottom