Chat Thread for the New Crazy 24 hour Auction

I know I'm weird but I just don't like them :(

Lol, you're definitely allowed to not like them :p Aside from the turner clicking and the one time it broke on me, I like them. But my Eco 20 is starting to give out now at six years old. Doesn't keep a stable temp like it used to - the temp changes with the room temperature.

Oh, my last hatch, the turner broke. Not the first time it's happend. I actually keep several replacement pieces on hand to fix it. But all the eggs were out of the basket and lying on the cover. It was actually rough enough that it opened the incubator a crack. This was on day 13. I was able to carefully pick it up and open it on the couch. NOTHING was cracked. One egg was cold, the rest still warm. I ended up hatching 13 chicks from 12 eggs, out of 13 eggs that made it to lockdown. Started with 16 SHIPPED eggs.

I don't use the rails unless I have to. I just line the eggs up, and then offset the next row of eggs. This last hatch I just had 16 eggs, so I had to use the rails. I just had one of both sides of the eggs, trying to keep the eggs in the middle. That's who I got 60 eggs in.

Did you hatch twin chicks?
I have to think we did. I started with 16 eggs, 13 made it to lock down, with 1 iffy that I locked down anyway. I had 4 unhatched eggs at the end of this hatch. The chicks I pulled out of the incubator had the correct number of chicks vs shells. Broody was left with one egg - while that egg was under her, I slipped in all the incubator chicks. I have a camera in the coop, and the 2nd day, I saw an egg shell get pushed out. I figured her chick had hatched. It wasn't until I had to clean the coop that first time, that I let the mom go outside, and I caught all the chicks. I caught 13 chicks - I only had 11 egg shells inside, and the 1 egg shell outside. 1 chick was MUCH smaller than all the others, and never thrived. I gave it nutra drench, I cleaned it's poopy butt every day, they got vitamins in their water. There was a heat plate AND the broody mom, so even when mom went out, the chick stayed under the heat plate. It died at 10 days. I have to guess that was one of the twins. So, it would have hatched under a very young and not very smart broody, and it was not healthy.

Close but I have barnies and SL bantam cochins :D
I know, I just set some of your barnies! She will actually be hatching 3 of those in her classroom. Found out they are looking for BLUE laced Wyandottes....we can only hope! I had to go to the local feed store to get a dreaded heat lamp. I have day old chicks and 2 week old chicks a and only 1 working heat plate. I'll see if I can find a broody silkie tomorrow to take these chicks. But in the meantime, I needed another heat source.

Hi everyone! I’m looking for EE/OE Naked Necks if someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom