Chat Thread for the New Crazy 24 hour Auction

Pics
I bought a good lab from a breeder in PA long ago. She had mostly yellow and black. Only 3 adult chocolates. SHe was VERY picky concerned that as the choc had just been approved that allthe junk was being bred to fill the demand. SHe had the 3 adults plus a litter of 12 cholocates, out of some 50 dogs !!! My boy got the curly coat from his chocolate mom.

Is the brown and chocolate the same gene, or different??

yes, it's the same... there's a blood test available now to tell if your dog carries it. handy to know if you're breeding white or silver standards and they carry brown. it makes the nose brown and eye color light brown for these varieties, when they should be BLACK (and is a DQ fault in show)! so many breeders are testing prior to breeding, to see if the whites or silvers carry brown, and if so, they adjust the breeding plans accordingly. it also throws off the color of blues too, making them look sort of 'muddy' IMO. (the 'fad' term for the colors are blue-brown = cafe' au lait, silver brown = silver beige - I don't care for either color personally)

a white standard poodle should have solid black skin, nose and 'eye liner'.
a few pics I've taken of my 'part time LGD'.
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I love a useful dog!! lol

I house sat for a std poodle long ago-- Mel was a delightful dog with health issues, so I stayed at his house on the weekends when his family was away. He really changed my mind about poodles. I didn't care for the toys when I house sat at another house . . . . figured all poodles were the same. NOT> THe std are a totally different dog.

THe give wasy on my black lab was the curly coat along his back. Apparently a lot of choc labs have that feature. One parent was yellow and the other chocolate. I have also met a couple that had the only tri colored lab: a brindle looking dog. IT had a paper written about it.

I really appreciate the knowledge behind understanding all the colors of dog and chickens. Way over my head and beyond my comprehension as much as I try. SO hats off to karen !!

Love your standard-- he's cute, and not a fru-fru. lol

I love a useful dog!! lol

I house sat for a std poodle long ago-- Mel was a delightful dog with health issues, so I stayed at his house on the weekends when his family was away. He really changed my mind about poodles. I didn't care for the toys when I house sat at another house . . . . figured all poodles were the same. NOT> THe std are a totally different dog.

THe give wasy on my black lab was the curly coat along his back. Apparently a lot of choc labs have that feature. One parent was yellow and the other chocolate. I have also met a couple that had the only tri colored lab: a brindle looking dog. IT had a paper written about it.

I really appreciate the knowledge behind understanding all the colors of dog and chickens. Way over my head and beyond my comprehension as much as I try. SO hats off to karen !!

actually, the original 'foof' hair cut was a functional cut. being water retrievers, they needed to be able to swim, without sinking, but at the same time not get half frozen from swimming in the cold waters. so the hair was left longer over the joints and chest to keep heat in and trimmed short everywhere else to allow easy movement in the water and brush. over the last 100 years it's evolved considerably, even from the 'show' trim of 50 years ago. today's trim is much more 'foof' than the old ones were. also, nowadays, you hardly ever see a corded poodle, though a few breeders are showing with it successfully.

for a pictoral history of the various poodle cuts, check out this page took some doing but I finally found it. someone on the standard poodle group (yahoo) that I own posted the link and some of the pics probably 4 or 5 years ago, and has posted some off and on since, but I couldn't find them without doing an archive search. LOL

Quote:
yeah... i am planning on making my own delawares.. based on the old standards.. it will take some doing.. but I'm positive I can make it happen especially by using heritage birds for my base..
lol.. I just don't like the look of modern hatchery delawares!

Next spring if you're still looking for muscovys I may be able to hook you up with some.. just need to wait for everyone to start laying again.. and get the other ducks separated out.. right now all the waterfowl are running with the youngest emu... and seems like everyone but the emu are molting...

Quote:

actually, the original 'foof' hair cut was a functional cut. being water retrievers, they needed to be able to swim, without sinking, but at the same time not get half frozen from swimming in the cold waters. so the hair was left longer over the joints and chest to keep heat in and trimmed short everywhere else to allow easy movement in the water and brush. over the last 100 years it's evolved considerably, even from the 'show' trim of 50 years ago. today's trim is much more 'foof' than the old ones were. also, nowadays, you hardly ever see a corded poodle, though a few breeders are showing with it successfully.

for a pictoral history of the various poodle cuts, check out this page took some doing but I finally found it. someone on the standard poodle group (yahoo) that I own posted the link and some of the pics probably 4 or 5 years ago, and has posted some off and on since, but I couldn't find them without doing an archive search. LOL
HAAHAA-- when I said fru-fru, I meant the toy poodles!! lol

Love the history lesson on the cuts--- makes total sense now that you explain it. Will check out the cuts!! Still too much work to maintain. I pick breeds with easy coats. Like labs and rotties.

Quote:
yeah... i am planning on making my own delawares.. based on the old standards.. it will take some doing.. but I'm positive I can make it happen especially by using heritage birds for my base..
lol.. I just don't like the look of modern hatchery delawares!

Next spring if you're still looking for muscovys I may be able to hook you up with some.. just need to wait for everyone to start laying again.. and get the other ducks separated out.. right now all the waterfowl are running with the youngest emu... and seems like everyone but the emu are molting...

Kathy Imo has been working on such a del project for 2-3 years now. Based ont he heritage fowl feed back , they are impressed with the birds.

Last edited:
Quote: well, I don't deal with shedding very well, which is why i'm hesitant on the LGD thing too... call it mental, whatever. hair on my clothing makes me itch. doesn't matter what 'flavor' LOL.

spoos are low maintenance too. get the clippers out every couple months and buzz it all off, bath every couple weeks... mominlaw spends better than twice the amount of time just brushing one lab (multipled times 4 dogs!) we don't brush. the natural curl keeps the dirt & rain off his skin.

biggest part of maintenance is this time of year, picking the burrs out of his fur... LOL burdocks are the worst, then there's those little round Velcro beads and the little forked sticks. LOL he brings them all to me to 'fix'.

Oh, I want to subscribe! I know people have told me the anwser to this question before But I dont remember. When you make FF what all do you do? I know you put grain in a jar or bucket and then i cant remember lol.

Back
Top Bottom