Chat Thread for the New Crazy 24 hour Auction

Pics
Subscribing...
Hmm a little about me. Happily married (for now... Apparently if I order ONE more chicken related thing, I will be Single Crazy Chicken Lady lol) with two special needs children. Both boys ages 7 & 8. Have one slightly neurotic weimaraner puppy, one olive egger, two bantam cochin roos, 7 lf cochin hens in black, blue, gold laced, and barred. Love gardening, chickens, doing projects (yep, our power tools are mine too lol). Have a bachelor's degree in science, pre-med. And I am in the process of renewing my paramedic certification /license to go back to work. Previously worked as a medic in SC, and environmental chemistry in SC and FL. Oh, and I have a chronic incurable case of chicken math compounded by a severe "I want that breed/color/size chicken" infection! Lol :)

I am married with 3 kids (7, 2, and 2 months), 2 dogs, 4 cats, and I don't know how many chickens. I live in a small small town and when I tell people I have chickens they're stunned. And then I tell them I sell hatching eggs and they just go hazzy eyed. Haha! I have:
EEs
OEs
BCMs
New hampshires
Rhode Island reds
Barred rocks
Crested cream legbars
Silver laced wyandottes
Partridge orpingtons
Isabel orpingtons
Jubilee orpingtons
Gold laced orpingtons
Blue/gold partridge brahmas
Barnevelders
Cross labgshans

In the bator:
Isbars
More barnies
Ayam cemani

actually, the original 'foof' hair cut was a functional cut. being water retrievers, they needed to be able to swim, without sinking, but at the same time not get half frozen from swimming in the cold waters.  so the hair was left longer over the joints and chest to keep heat in and trimmed short everywhere else to allow easy movement in the water and brush.  over the last 100 years it's evolved considerably, even from the 'show' trim of 50 years ago. today's trim is much more 'foof' than the old ones were.  also, nowadays, you hardly ever see a corded poodle, though a few breeders are showing with it successfully.

for a pictoral history of the various poodle cuts, check out

HAAHAA-- when I said  fru-fru, I meant the toy poodles!! lol

Love the history lesson on the cuts--- makes total sense now that you explain it. Will check out the cuts!! Still too much work to maintain. I pick breeds with easy coats. Like labs and rotties.

well, I don't deal with shedding very well, which is why i'm hesitant on the LGD thing too...  call it mental, whatever. hair on my clothing makes me itch. doesn't matter what 'flavor' LOL.

spoos are low maintenance too. get the clippers out every couple months and buzz it all off, bath every couple weeks... mominlaw spends better than twice the amount of time just brushing one lab (multipled times 4 dogs!)   we don't brush. the natural curl keeps the dirt & rain off his skin.

biggest part of maintenance is this time of year, picking the burrs out of his fur... LOL  burdocks are the worst, then there's those little round Velcro beads and the little forked sticks. LOL  he brings them all to me to 'fix'.

If you don't like hair stay away from pyr's they shed all year long and you have to constantly brush them. I have a lint roller in my house, car and I have to roll again before starting to work. You sweep daily and there sti is hair. I love mine and she is beautiful, but I could do without so much hair

Oh, I want to subscribe! I know people have told me the anwser to this question before But I dont remember. When you make FF what all do you do? I know you put grain in a jar or bucket and then i cant remember lol.

the bare basics:
grain or feed in a bucket.. add water to cover.. let sit for a day or so (depends on temps.. hotter days = faster ferments)

some people add apple cider vinegar or kefir or other things to get the culture started. but it will also start on it's own..

after you feed out of it just add more feed / grain and water to the bucket with what ever remnants are still in it.. stir and let sit til the next feeding

some people also cover with a cloth to keep bugs out.. flies love this stuff

I am married with 3 kids (7, 2, and 2 months), 2 dogs, 4 cats, and I don't know how many chickens. I live in a small small town and when I tell people I have chickens they're stunned. And then I tell them I sell hatching eggs and they just go hazzy eyed. Haha! I have:
EEs
OEs
BCMs
New hampshires
Rhode Island reds
Barred rocks
Crested cream legbars
Silver laced wyandottes
Partridge orpingtons
Isabel orpingtons
Jubilee orpingtons
Gold laced orpingtons
Blue/gold partridge brahmas
Barnevelders
Cross labgshans

In the bator:
Isbars
More barnies
Ayam cemani

are your barred rocks heritage?

If you don't like hair stay away from pyr's they shed all year long and you have to constantly brush them. I have a lint roller in my house, car and I have to roll again before starting to work. You sweep daily and there sti is hair. I love mine and she is beautiful, but I could do without so much hair
1f633.png

lol.. german shepherds shed more... we've had both for awhile.. the shep leaves piles of hair (thanks ceiling fan)... you would think the dust bunnies are taking over the world by the amount of hair that gets blown into corners... and under furniture... and in the air...

but if I had to choose between having people in my life or the shedding dogs.. I would take the dogs in a heartbeat!!

LOL I got my husband (totally not a people person!) a coffee mug that says "The more time I spend with people... The more I love my dog!" Fits perfectly! :)
I got myself one that annoys my kids.... says "I love giving homemade gifts... so which of my kids do you want?" *snicker*

LOL I got my husband (totally not a people person!) a coffee mug that says "The more time I spend with people... The more I love my dog!" Fits perfectly! :)
I got myself one that annoys my kids.... says "I love giving homemade gifts... so which of my kids do you want?" *snicker*

remind me to never do a gift exchange with you!
gig.gif

(I'm highly allergic to kids)...
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom