Chat Thread for the New Crazy 24 hour Auction

Pics
All current eggs crammed in incubator *whew*. One batch hatched yesterday, and I had more to set than the space that got freed up.

I do have a bunch due to hatch over the next 10-12 days, but I am not expecting good hatches from those (Ermine Marans and Seramas). Remember the busted incubator UPS delivered? I had already had to juggle finances trying to hurry and get another bator, and then I got the busted bator and that caused yet more delay. So by the time I got the eggs set that I had been sitting on (oops, no pun intended lol), some of those eggs were probably a month old. But I set them anyway in hopes of hatching whatever I can get.

This is the new (unbroken) Brinsea with no stacked eggs. I got it for a hatcher, you know, for a nice neat 24 eggs set a week in the other two for incubating, and 24 into the hatcher. I was thinking I could set on the same day each week, and have 24 hatching each week. Somehow it's not working out that way.
idunno.gif

Anyhoo, it has no cradle since it's supposed to be a hatcher, so I will have to manually tilt it back and forth to turn the eggs.

This one has all Seramas, with 3 different hatch dates. One full layer on the bottom, and a plastic organizing tray on top of those. I squeezed 27 eggs in the top tray, big end up, and they *just* fit. I loosely wrapped paper towels around that top tray to make sure they don't fall out when the incubator tilts. There are a total of more than 60 eggs in that one incubator, but as stated, I'm not expecting very many of them to hatch.

The light eggs on the right are turkey eggs. On the far right are 6 eggs in a cut out section of a fiberboard egg tray. I will have to find a small object to put under 1 end so I can tilt that fiberboard strip back and forth every day.Those 6 eggs are loosely wrapped with paper towels because they are over 2 weeks old and muddy. I hope they don't explode, but just in case...

All 13 +1 extra egg from Bamadude arrived today! I could spend all day telling you how amazing his packaging was that's how intricate it was. If he spends half as much time on his birds as he did packaging these eggs they must be living like kings and queens. From bubble wrapping and newspaper packaging each individual egg to using cotton stuffing (never seen that but it worked extremely well) as shock absorber, his eggs arrived all in great shape no cracks even though the outer box was in sad shape. I candled and 2 are perfect 10 have barley detached air cells and only 2 have fully detached air cells. I see a good hatch rate in my future. :) Thank you for taking such care in getting these babies to me!

I don't even know what to say about this except that Ladycat is an excellent egg packer, but I decided to put the eggs that got a free trip to Hawaii in the incubator, just to give them a chance, and figured I'd maybe get one or two to develop and have to pull the rest. Well, I candled last night - three were too scrambled to develop, and the other fifteen are ALL DEVELOPING. Yikes, I didn't plan for that and now since I'm incubating other eggs for a friend I'm gonna have to pull out the second incubator because otherwise I won't have room!

I don't even know what to say about this except that Ladycat is an excellent egg packer, but I decided to put the eggs that got a free trip to Hawaii in the incubator, just to give them a chance, and figured I'd maybe get one or two to develop and have to pull the rest. Well, I candled last night - three were too scrambled to develop, and the other fifteen are ALL DEVELOPING. Yikes, I didn't plan for that and now since I'm incubating other eggs for a friend I'm gonna have to pull out the second incubator because otherwise I won't have room!

Then maybe you won't need that replacement shipment after all.

People are reporting back the most incredible hatch percentages on the eggs they get from me. I think I hit on the perfect method of packing.
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom