Chat Thread for the New Crazy 24 hour Auction

Question for people who ship big eggs like goose eggs. I've shipped goose eggs twice now, and each package has lost one egg. I'm wrapping eggs in bubble wrap, putting paper and/or styro peanuts or more bubble wrap between them, then double wrapping and using bubble wrap and/or scrunched paper between the boxes. What else can I try? Do larger eggs travel harder? Or easier, and I'm really missing something? Maybe try pipe insulation around the eggs?? I'm not sure how much space is idea between the inner and outer boxes, but I even used a bigger box with more padding space and shipping was $10 more and still had an egg lost.
hmm.png

Just want to do all I can so folks get the eggs they want in as good a shape as possible!!!
Thanks for any more ideas for me to try!
I haven't shipped goose eggs, only turkey and chicken, but I imagine the reason you lose one is the weight of the eggs themselves. I am assuming, of course, that by lose you mean broken. When the package gets dropped off the end of the belt into the bin, if it lands on it's side, all the contents inside will shift. When that happens, if the force is too great for the strength of the shell, the egg will crack. That is why an egg in the middle of a box will break even when the rest are fine.

Your best bet with heavy eggs is too wrap them in something that won't give like a plastic shell. I used to use the plastic Easter eggs and that worked really well when I could find them cheap. You would need to find really big ones for goose eggs. The other option is to section of the box so each egg is in its own space. You can use cardboard and make a grid inside the inner box and put one egg in each space. Make sure the ends of the grid are taped to the box so they don't bend if the box is dropped or hit.

Goose eggs just ship badly that's why you shouldn't put them on a egg turner either. The best goose eggs I have ever had sent to me had couch cushion foam around the inner box. Also you can over pack eggs so keep that in mind too. When a box is dropped on the conveyer it's not always the fall that breaks them sometimes it's the shock of them slamming to the top or not being. Able to absorb the impact of hitting the top

I haven't shipped goose eggs, only turkey and chicken, but I imagine the reason you lose one is the weight of the eggs themselves. I am assuming, of course, that by lose you mean broken. When the package gets dropped off the end of the belt into the bin, if it lands on it's side, all the contents inside will shift. When that happens, if the force is too great for the strength of the shell, the egg will crack. That is why an egg in the middle of a box will break even when the rest are fine.

Your best bet with heavy eggs is too wrap them in something that won't give like a plastic shell. I used to use the plastic Easter eggs and that worked really well when I could find them cheap. You would need to find really big ones for goose eggs. The other option is to section of the box so each egg is in its own space. You can use cardboard and make a grid inside the inner box and put one egg in each space. Make sure the ends of the grid are taped to the box so they don't bend if the box is dropped or hit.
I was thinking of trying to make a grid of foam board in the inner box, to give each egg it's own space. If I can fit it all in! I know the first box had a broken egg, the box had taken a hard hit. Waiting to hear on the second box's lost egg. Trying to find and walk that line between too much packaging and not enough. Seems eggs this size should be tough! Then again having dropped a couple on my feet... they don't bounce well. They are heavy eggs, that's for sure! Thx!!

Goose eggs just ship badly that's why you shouldn't put them on a egg turner either. The best goose eggs I have ever had sent to me had couch cushion foam around the inner box. Also you can over pack eggs so keep that in mind too. When a box is dropped on the conveyer it's not always the fall that breaks them sometimes it's the shock of them slamming to the top or not being. Able to absorb the impact of hitting the top

The tops of my boxes have 2 layers of big bubble wrap, lots of shavings, and if there's room to squeeze them in, I fill in the remaining space with air pillows. If not enough room for air pillows, I use more big bubble wrap.

@bekkanblue This is how I packed my turkey eggs and they arrived in great shape and none broke.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/738943/the-great-egg-shipping-experiment/2430

I am not a pro this was actually my first time shipping eggs. But I had been following the the great egg shipping experiment thread for a while.
I've read that thread too, relying on it! I didn't use that much bubblewrap, wouldn't completely encasing them keep them from getting enough O2? Like being put in plastic bags which I've read is a no-no? All my straw is currently soaking wet being turned in a straw bale garden.... might need more! And more bubble wrap! Thx!

Back
Top Bottom