Chat Thread for the New Crazy 24 hour Auction

Thank you!!!
smile.png
Love the fluffy cheek chicks!

As far as peafowl...Mine seem to only be loud during breeding season, (summer). The rest of the time they serve as night guards because if they yell, something is wrong and I run out there. Of course, I have macaws and Guineas too, so maybe I'm deaf now.....

We recently lost the best pet ever. A pea hen named Crombie. She followed us everywhere, would sit down beside us, wanted to be cuddled and have her head petted and cheeks scratched. We could even be trimming brush using chainsaws and a brush chipper and she was always right under foot ready to help.

Just thought I'd share how special they can be. The peacocks can be too aggressive if raised too tame, but the peahens are incredible.

Thank you!!!
smile.png
Love the fluffy cheek chicks! As far as peafowl...Mine seem to only be loud during breeding season, (summer). The rest of the time they serve as night guards because if they yell, something is wrong and I run out there. Of course, I have macaws and Guineas too, so maybe I'm deaf now..... We recently lost the best pet ever. A pea hen named Crombie. She followed us everywhere, would sit down beside us, wanted to be cuddled and have her head petted and cheeks scratched. We could even be trimming brush using chainsaws and a brush chipper and she was always right under foot ready to help. Just thought I'd share how special they can be. The peacocks can be too aggressive if raised too tame, but the peahens are incredible.
I am actually hoping to hatch females this time. Both eggs have definite life, but I hear they're hard to successfully incubate so that could change. I'm getting them DNA sexed by their eggshells when they hatch so I'll know what genders I have right away. Thanks for the info! I mean, my closest neighbors also keep poultry and a very loud cow so I'm pretty sure they won't mind one bit, but if you really can hear them up to five miles away... I did have a sun conure though, and he didn't seem loud, and they said that his call should be able to be heard miles away... but maybe I'm a little deaf too, lol!

Thank you!!!
smile.png
Love the fluffy cheek chicks!

As far as peafowl...Mine seem to only be loud during breeding season, (summer). The rest of the time they serve as night guards because if they yell, something is wrong and I run out there. Of course, I have macaws and Guineas too, so maybe I'm deaf now.....

We recently lost the best pet ever. A pea hen named Crombie. She followed us everywhere, would sit down beside us, wanted to be cuddled and have her head petted and cheeks scratched. We could even be trimming brush using chainsaws and a brush chipper and she was always right under foot ready to help.

Just thought I'd share how special they can be. The peacocks can be too aggressive if raised too tame, but the peahens are incredible.

We had a tame peacock. He was in love with my crippled rooster!!! The rooster was hatched when there was snow on the ground and under his skin filled up with air.He hoped around on one leg and followed me everywhere I went!!! We got a peahen and the peacock wanted nothing to do with her! He loved that crippled rooster! That rooster would follow me in the house and watch me do dishes and clean.He never left my side! I still miss him!

We had a tame peacock. He was in love with my crippled rooster!!! The rooster was hatched when there was snow on the ground and under his skin filled up with air.He hoped around on one leg and followed me everywhere I went!!! We got a peahen and the peacock wanted nothing to do with her! He loved that crippled rooster! That rooster would follow me in the house and watch me do dishes and clean.He never left my side! I still miss him!

Sometimes you just don't know when one of these animals will get under your skin like that. I doubt that the kids or I will ever get over losing the peahen. I want to raise another one like that, but the kids don't. That bothers me too. I don't want them to turn away from animals.....

I have a little scissor beak rooster that follows me and comes running when I call him. It's these odd balls that end up being loose in the yard instead of living safer but more boring lives in the breeder pens..

I used to ride my horses about 3 miles away from the property and I could still hear my birds...
smile.png

Sometimes you just don't know when one of these animals will get under your skin like that. I doubt that the kids or I will ever get over losing the peahen. I want to raise another one like that, but the kids don't. That bothers me too. I don't want them to turn away from animals.....

I have a little scissor beak rooster that follows me and comes running when I call him. It's these odd balls that end up being loose in the yard instead of living safer but more boring lives in the breeder pens..

I used to ride my horses about 3 miles away from the property and I could still hear my birds...
smile.png

They are once in a life time pets! I hope your kids learn to love animals! I never thought I would have a one leg rooster as a shadow! He had two legs but only one that reached the ground! He had one strong leg to follow me all over 40 acers.

I had a one legged game rooster named Derby. He would come in and sit with us if we were watching TV or shadow us in the yard. If I was riding around the property on my senior horse, ( who doesn't know she can still run (lol)) Derby was right with me in the saddle.

ETA he lived like four or five years this way. One day I found him beat half to death under the back porch. It was to late. He was a good boy.

Last edited:
Depends on type of quail. I ran 1 male to 6 females in Bob whites. I've heard anywhere from 1 to 3 to 1 to 6 in coturnix. Ferility is better on 1 to 3 but 1 to 6 gives the hens a better rest from the males.

Back
Top Bottom