ChattyQuackFarms

In the Brooder
May 6, 2019
Atlanta GA
Hi,

I am mother to a NeuroDiverse family of four. We all have some type of neurological disorder. I use the platforms of Google Photos, YouTube and Blogger to document our lives as Suburban Homesteaders (in training). This documentation project started off for many different reasons: as the 7th step of the scientific process for homeschool projects, (Reporting your results to the scientific community), as a way to teach my 2 special needs toddlers chores and routines, as a tool to track progress and behavior in my children.

Then later into my vlogging journey (early this spring 2019), we added 2 pekin ducklings to our family, Lemon and Cherry. One of my close relatives took interest in the 'Duck Story,' (which is the Google Photo Album I started to document our new pets). Once she saw what we'd been doing with the ducks, gardening, outdoor spring/summer science projects, etc., she told other relatives. More and more joined in the 'Duck Story' photo album, so we expanded to YouTube. Now we have also expanded to Blogger, to some degree. Our long time family therapist has been encouraging me for years to blog about our neurodiverse family. So I just kinda made a conglomerate out of all these and we call ourselves Chatty Quack Farms.
Are we farmers? Not yet. But we are well on our way. We are starting with ducks and blackberries, and a lot of online research. Part of my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder means I research constantly. So we connected with a local duck farmer near us through a small farmer's market, and she introduced me to BackYardChickens.com.

At this time (late Spring 2019), our ducks are going on 4 months old. They are sweet babies to me, but also a long term science lesson, a way to teach responsibility and hard work to my children, and good Poop Producers for our new gardening projects. We wanted eggs, but our local duck farmer friend has recently visited us and established that we have two males. So for now they are just our Pretty Prissy Pooping Pekins. No eggs, but they sure are cute, (and huge). They are even responding quite well to behavior training. As weird as that might sound.

So that's us. We're pretty basic, even in our eccentricities. Just within our own little family unit we have Autism, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, as well as several other sub-disorders that are lesser-known. Are we nuts? Yeah, technically we kind of are. But we still live normal happy lives. So here is a link to our YouTube channel, Chatty Quack Farms, specifically dedicated to our family outdoor activities during the Spring and Summer.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJjnvh-Ra5zxx2AhycGtoXw

Our YouTube channel is not as up-to-date as some of our other, non-public profiles. If you ever have any questions for me directly, having to do with our homesteading activities, or neurodiversity curiosities that you may have, feel free to message me.

Chatty Quack Mom

byc-duckie-hello.png

Back
Top Bottom