Cheap coop ideas! We need some inspiration...

Little Farm Girl

Songster
Sep 6, 2018
My children have somewhere around 65 chickens, 20 younger chicks, 11 ducks and a turkey. They need some ideas of ways they can make, find, or buy some CHEAP chicken Coops/Pens/Houses. They would prefer ones that aren't in the ground, or fenced off, so that they(my husband) can move them around. They will need to be able to hold anywhere from 3 - 8 adult chickens. If you have any ideas/images of Inexpensive coops that would be great! They really need some inspiration. Since they are needing about 4 coops, they aren't wanting to spend more then about $50 per coop:confused: Is there any place in East Texas that they could buy some cheap damaged coops that need some fixing up? Any ideas would be great for them! They say Thank You so much:D Also, They have to buy the Housing, All supplies, and food for their animals...so some times they are tight, lol.

Larger garden sheds are going to be hard to get or build for under $50 Each coop will hold about 16 to 18 I guess? That’ll be tough for $50 a pop. There some great articles here about repurposed free and cheap material. And also great articles about diy feeders and watering systems cause they can get pricey. I personally get casserole dishes from goodwill and raise them up on platforms ( pallets with a bock underneath) for mine cause they are to heavy to knock over and I can stick the top on the keep food dry if it rains. But I only have 16

Sorry your first post did say 3-8 chickens a coop. My bad. Hmmm. Let me look through and see drawings I may have for smaller coops we’ve made. Do you have any small buildings on your property to convert?

Larger garden sheds are going to be hard to get or build for under $50 Each coop will hold about 16 to 18 I guess? That’ll be tough for $50 a pop. There some great articles here about repurposed free and cheap material. And also great articles about diy feeders and watering systems cause they can get pricey. I personally get casserole dishes from goodwill and raise them up on platforms ( pallets with a bock underneath) for mine cause they are to heavy to knock over and I can stick the top on the keep food dry if it rains. But I only have 16
They Free range everyone together, and they all have a huge barn, the feeders & waterers in the barn work well. They are needing smaller separate pens to breed specific breeds. Sorry I didn't specify!

That’s basically what I’m building out now... it’s my first tractor build, so I’m using store bought lumber... aside from the 5- 12foot boards which run the length of my 6x12 run with a sleeping nesting box I think you could use pallet wood (free) for most of the other parts. I will grab a pic on my way down to the farm for you and give some details on my lunch break!

Back
Top Bottom