Cheap homemade chicken nipple waterer

I fitted a water bottle for my chicks, but they don't seem to realize that water comes out of it.

I've even tried forcing them to drink out of it to try and get some sense into them...

Any ideas?

Btw, this is in the coop; I plan to add a bigger waterer in the run once it's finished.

Cool use of cheapo supplies. Anyone do this successfully with a winter waterer? I was thinking about maybe a 5-gal bucket with a bucket heater sunk in it.

Though, making a cookie tin warmer for my existing galvanized water feeder is probably more cost-effective.

Quote:
Thanks!!!!!!

I didn't want to order the 10set one and I'm glad you posted this!

You're very welcome! Oh, and shipping is free on those, too. Makes it all cheap enough that even I can afford them.

awesome! I jut bought the 5 pack for $3.90.
ya.gif
The hanging waterer I am using now is always driving me crazy! They spill the majority of it, the bedding gets soaked and I constantly worry that they will be out of water if I can't get to check it every day.
barnie.gif
I've been wanting to try nipples for awhile but wasn't sure if my beauties would be able to figure it out.
D.gif
this DIY option is really reasonable in price and even if it doesn't work it's not a lot of money to be out.

Now the next challenge....how to keep it from freezing in the winter??? to be continued.....
welcome-byc.gif

Sorry to necro the thread, but...

I've got a bunch of these and while the instructions say that with an 11/32" hole in PVC they should screw right in, they don't. Any chance anyone knows the proper tap to use with these? Got mine from CCOnly and they are red, just like the ones you have in your pics. Can figure out the thread pitch but not sure if it is straight threaded or pipe threaded (ie tapered).

1/8"-27 NPS or 1/8"-27 NPT

Thanks.

Edit to add...

Never fails. I can be searching the net for something for hours and as soon as I give up to come here and ask I find the answer as soon as I return to the net to search.

"To tap holes for our nipples, use an R drill and 1/8 NPT pipe tap."

Last edited:
Feather Farm - try glycerol aka glycerine - the food grade stuff!

Add a little to the water and you can stop water freezing down to -18c or less.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom