Cheating Hierarchical scale????

Chickenunsernam

Chirping
Jan 16, 2017
Hi everyone,

So I've just gotten a new hen (she's a bit young) (Her name is Paulina) and I want her to explore the yard and eat and scavenge and do chicken stuff you know?

I figured she would fit right in but NONE of the hens seem to like her and keep bullying her so much that she goes and hides for the entire day!

Paulina is a very nice hen and she doesn't fight like the others do. In fact she wants to follow them to learn about the place but all the hens are mean.

I was wondering if the hierarchical could be cheated or something. I'm really not sure what to do about this.

Anyone have any suggestions??

You should introduce Paulina to the rest of the flock through fencing. that way they can all meet but she can't get beaten up or bullied. Once they have lived side by side for a while then introduce on common ground. if you let your hens free range when your watching them that would be a good time to let them all be together with you tossing treats on the ground for them all. If you have a dog crate you could even let her sleep with the flock in it that way she is with the flock but can't be beaten up.

You can't just bring home any type of poultry and put them in with an established flock right off it's like throwing them to the lions.

They will still have to work out a pecking order but it won't be as brutal.

You should introduce Paulina to the rest of the flock through fencing. that way they can all meet but she can't get beaten up or bullied. Once they have lived side by side for a while then introduce on common ground. if you let your hens free range when your watching them that would be a good time to let them all be together with you tossing treats on the ground for them all. If you have a dog crate you could even let her sleep with the flock in it that way she is with the flock but can't be beaten up.

You can't just bring home any type of poultry and put them in with an established flock right off it's like throwing them to the lions.

They will still have to work out a pecking order but it won't be as brutal.

Yes, when I get a new hen I usually do so (putting them in a fenced area so the others meet her- it's usually so cute to watch) and they did meet her.

Perhaps I should place her there for a longer time?

I currently have a fenced chicken and I notice Paulina likes to go around her and just hangs around there.

Thanks a lot for the advice, I'll work on it right now!

Back
Top Bottom