check fertility w/o cracking egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by southernsibe, Mar 26, 2008.

1. southernsibe

southernsibe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2007
    kensington, maryland
    I hope this isn't a completely stupid question, but.... Is there a way to check the fertility of an egg without cracking it open? I would hate to waste a fertile egg. I read here that one successful mating can supply enough sperm for 30 days, correct? This is about my turkey, but about egg laying and hatching, so I hope it is in the right forum. My tom is having trouble getting the job done. He usually steps on her poor head or doesn't grasp the concept of staying there long enough. I don't know it just seems as though he hasn't actully DONE it yet. But now my hen is getting really broody. I don't want to crack open her eggs. If possible I would like to know any other way. I know that letting her sit would work too, but i admit to being a bit impatient.
    Thanks for any help
    Rachel

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    The only other way is to actually incubate them, so go for it!

3. southernsibe

southernsibe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2007
    kensington, maryland
    Can I let her sit on them for a while, then candle them?
    Rachel

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The only way I know of is to incubate one for 4 - 7 days and look for veins.

5. kevin2010

kevin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    tucker wv
    does any one have any clue on what would happen to a chick if its egg were to be opened by hand on day 22? would it live or die?

6. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    I think in most cases the chick would die or be dead.
    I think this thread is an interesting read about helping chicks out : Intervention: Helping Your Chicks Hatch
    I tried helping a chick once, but it didn't help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by