Check out the size of this egg!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gumpsgirl, Apr 12, 2009.

1. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    One of my poor Wellie girls layed this egg yesterday and I bet it's a triple yolker! It fills the whole palm of my hand and then part of my fingers. I don't have a small hand either!

Anyways, here's a pic next to one of her "normal" sized eggs. The picture really doesn't show how big the egg really is, but it's bigger than any of the double yolkers my girls have ever layed.
    [​IMG]

2. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    OUCH!

3. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I always feel sorry for the chicken when they lay that double yolker (or triple)..... [​IMG]

4. RooptyDoo

RooptyDoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Illinois
    Ouch!!!! Definitely take a picture of it. Especially if it is a triple yoker.

5. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Will do! [​IMG]

6. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I just measured the egg. It is 3" long and 2" wide. OUCH! is right! [​IMG]

7. bkvail

bkvail Chillin' With My Peeps

ouch is right! Neither of my Welsummer hens have laid double yolkers, but their eggs are always a really tight fit in a XL chicken egg container! Sometimes I cannot close the lid!

My hen ''Mary'' is brooding as of today! I think she's sitting on at least 4 eggs. My roo is HUGE, so I'm excited to see babies from them [​IMG] I think I might sell my younger hen if Mary hatches some babies so I can keep another generation. I wish I knew how to sex Welsummer's as chicks though!

Karin

8. huntermett

huntermett Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    Claremore
    i have an araucana that just started laying . my wife came in from the coop with her first egg and it had traces of blood on it, and it was huge. i felt sorry for her it was so big . we happened to have breakfast for supper that evening, and so when i cracked it open to put in the skillet it turned out to be a double yolker:celebrate

9. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    [​IMG] WOW! That's a serious egg!

10. Chicken03

Chicken03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    [​IMG] That is huge. I got one almost that big, I don't know if it's a triple yoker.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by