Check Out This Strange Egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Catalina, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    I love weirdo eggs.
    This was on the floor of my coop this morning.
    [​IMG]

I've been getting 1 big egg a day from the 3 big girls, so obviously they are either taking turns laying each day [​IMG] or 2 girls haven't been laying.

[​IMG]

It has a nice thick shell, not a soft egg.

2. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    OUCH! Poor hen . . . [​IMG]

3. Ellie_NY_chick

Ellie_NY_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Finger Lakes, NY
    [​IMG]

4. sandy sea

sandy sea Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    That is weird! I have never seen anything like that before. My weirdest egg was just two toned in color.

5. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    That is one crazy egg [​IMG] . Looks like one got caught up in the duct and the one behind it fused itself to it. Thats one to put on the mantle [​IMG] ! Cant wait to see what people say. Thanks for the pic!

Chef

6. NWchickenLuv

NWchickenLuv Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2009
    Bellingham WA
    [​IMG] whoa! have you cracked it open to see if there was any thing inside? I'm curious if there was a yoke...

7. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    Cracked open-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've gotten a lot of weird eggs. If you consider how an egg is made, it's amazing that any eggs turn out normal!

I'm just glad this had a nice thick shell. We went through a whole shell-less egg adventure last Fall. Not fun!

Before the girls slowed down for the winter I was getting a triangle shaped egg every day....plus side - it couldn't roll away. [​IMG]

8. jlmann

jlmann Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    What kind of chickens do you have? I'm wondering if the weird eggs are a genetic thing since you said you've had lots of them. I would love to have some chickens that laid weirdo eggs!

Sorry I just saw what type of chickens you have. Any idea which ones have layed weird eggs?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  9. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    Oooo...can you put it back together and preserve it resin from an arts and crafts store?

Suzy

[​IMG]

10. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    should have blown the egg out and kept the shell intact!! i do with freakishly big or tiny eggs... also just a few of each color i get... wife loves to have them in a basket on the table...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by