Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

All good here, raising chickens, ducks and quail, and selling all the eggs I get. Have a brahma rooster who is a bit of a turd, not sure why, he was raised along with my hens, but I guess he wants to make sure he's a boss.
Otherwise alls good in my world.
What kind of quail do you raise?
I have coturnix.

What a nice way to check in with inactive members! What have I been up to? Well, last fall, we relocated our chicken coop to be closer to our horse barn and have been slowly upgrading it with insulation, built-in brooder cages, permanent (and very safe) electrical wiring, etc. I like having all of the animals in one place! My hens also seem to enjoy being near the horses. I'm currently raising six spring chicks -- three will join my flock of three hens, for a total of six, and the other three are for my parents who also want to expand their flock this year.
Thanks for stopping by! Good luck with your new additions!

We're having trouble with ticks & copperhead snakes, so we're planning to bring in some guineas, to help combat those. And, we're on the fence about LGDs, because neither of us has any experience with them - but it feels like we need to learn.
Great pics, thanks for sharing!

Ya, ticks and venomous snakes are no joke! Keeps us posted on how your efforts go, and if you get a LGD!!!

Hi all, hope everyone is happy and well. My little brood is thriving, thank you. We lost our old dark Brahma bantam cockerel earlier this year - heartbreaking as he was hatched at home 9 years ago and much loved by us all. My young Barnevelder cockerel (hatched under 2 broody hens, that's another story!) last summer has now taken over caring for our 10 hens. Sorry I haven't posted for a while, I do pop in to have a read now and then. Here's Wednesday, my Barnie boy ❤️ he's an absolute sweetheart.
View attachment 3813032
Ha some boy! Thanks for the update and photos

Evening, my two flocks were combined about a month ago and for the very most part are getting along. Lost one to a hawk a little over a week ago, so the rest aren't currently happy with me, went from free ranging afternoon/evenings to having to stay in the run.
The run sounds safer.
Is your coop and run large enough for all?

We relocated from SC back to NC at the end of August last year. We had to rehome our chickens and give our coop away. Now that we're settled I've gotten a new coop but haven't found chickens yet. I want to get pullets rather than chicks. I'm in the far west of the state, Cherokee County, if anyone knows of a reputable source for pullets in the area.
Thanks for stopping by! Good luck finding your new flock….have you checked your state thread??

Aloha! Funny I just sent someone to this site the other day with a bumblefoot roo! We have 3 new Easter Egger chicks to add to our 12 other mixed crew! I've been exploring breeds and now have 2 Polish, 3 Spitzhaubens, a Silkie, a Mille d'Fleur, an Americana, a wild hen mix (8 yrs old now!), and a couple of layer mixes. I have continued to learn, from this site and others, how to be the only backyard chicken vet in the area. Thank you all for such wonderful information from many many years of experience! Keep posting! Attaching pic of our new coop for the babies!
Oh neat a vet on the big island.
You should say hi here:
Hawaii

Hi All! Sorry I have been absent. Remember those 2 chicks I posted about last year that my hen sat and started hatching out? Well they were both hens and hatched out 5 chicks on February 29th! I'm up to a total of 23 chickens now! I also have been busy caring for my family of 8- 4 grandkids, 2 adult working children, my husband and of course myself. I can't leave out the 3 dogs, now 2 :( , 4 cats and Gizmo (he's a Goffin's Cockatoo). sorry I don't have pictures, as they are on my phone and I am on my computer. I'll check in more often!
Thanks for stopping by! Hoping to see you around more often with photos 😂

Everything is going well. My girls have been struggling with some skin issues and retaining feathers. I've been treating them with mite spray so hopefully that will help. I've been very busy and recently found out I am pregnant so my husband has been doing a lot of the chicken chores in my place!
Are you in the US?
What exactly are you feeding them and which brand mite spray are you using?

Back
Top Bottom