Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Hello, Robear here , checking in. My Bantams are doing well , thank you. I have gone from Japanese Bantams to the tiny Serama Bantams or as I call them the "MINIONS" they are such dainty tiny chickens , I absolutely love them.
You have a beautiful flock thanks for the update

Hi there. Thanks for reaching out. Been busy but good. Had a lot of ups and downs, hatching a lot, but also loosing alot from foxes, hawks and coyotes.
That's been how it's been going here too in the last few years. I'm down to predator savvy birds or those we lock up at night.

Hatching is always fun. :)

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)

Not too much good news. I live in the center of town but am surrounded by groups of trees. First lost 6 chicks to a puppy that I had adopted from Mayfield animal shelter. Had to return her. She was a chi/terrier. then something killed my rooster boy who was left from the second group that Peanut killed. Left his girlfriend alone and was such a loner. My 7 grown girls picked on her. My 7 goofballs slept on top of the coop instead of in the coop. Then I lost 3 more girls. During this time, last month I trapped a racoon and then an opossum. the racoon after Darcy from the animal pound took it to a vet found that the racoon had Parvo. So, now I have 10 babies that are about 3 weeks old and 2 baby ducks. So i have 4 I hope girl ducks, not sure, so far no curly tails. Oh and as it gets dark I have to go out and grab each of my 6 remaining girls and throw them into the coop and lock them up. My 4 4month old duck girls do not seem to be bothered, yet they sleep outside huddled together.

Hi All!
Down to my last girl, Miss Ethel, a Lavender Orpington. She just lost her sister Lucy about 5 months ago :( Ethel has pretty much become a "semi" house chicken as we are her flock now.

I will probably get more chickens in the future, but not for at least a year.

I hope you all are enjoying your flocks 💕
Aww poor Ethel. That's nice she can enjoy your company. Hope she's doing well. Hopefully there's a lot more in your future. :)

Hello again! Lots going on for me so far this year haha!

My guinea hens have just started laying, I found the first egg of the year in the coop yesterday! They are officially two years old now, their birthday was in March :>

I've been making lots of improvements to their coop so far this spring, I am replacing the last section of chicken wire with hardware cloth, and adding a little "spa" area to their run for them to take dust baths in! Some of the wind events we got this winter & the resident mice have also really done a number on the tarps on the roof, so that's on my list to fix this spring too. Plenty to keep me busy!
Congratulations on your first guinea egg. :)

That's a lot of great improvements to your coop. That sounds like quite the winds you get. Hopefully it isn't too much work to fix the tarps.

As most have said life got busy. Went from a stressful job that paid more to a less stressful one that doesn't, so had to readjust life. I just do ducks, and they are a wonderful bunch of quacker. Wants for ducklings this spring have been slow so more work involved to move them out. I also tripled my garden space this year and it's growing well. Lots of work but I am so happy with it. Can't wait for arm fulls of fresh food.
Your ducklings are adorable. What breeds are they? That sounds like a big garden. We have been going the other way and downsizing, but still love getting fresh produce.

That was to be chickles and duckles, what I call the youngest members. Also nursing a hen after a dog attack. She is much better, and laying eggs again. Still living in the garage and in front of house in the long grass and shrubbery but much better
Glad to hear your hen is recovering well. It's so stressful when something like that happens.

Back
Top Bottom