Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

That is the same as my reply to OP was going to be. So I'm posting a reply to a reply, since it's in the same vein.

I'm not keeping chickens at the moment as a pine marten killed 2 of 3 on the first round and then a few weeks later, when I thought it was really secure and had got replacement chickens, it killed the lot. I don't want to keep chickens again until I'm sure I can keep them safer.

A neighbour has lots of chickens and says loosing some chickens from some predator is par for the course. So I guess I need to harden up a bit too. He said the martens etc can get through tiny holes/gaps but are only after the eggs. They get scared by the chickens' noise and flapping and so kill them in what they see as self-defense. He said I could put an egg in a humane trap near the coop to trap it then release it somewhere else. Not sure how effective that is as I presume the marten would just find its way back.

But for the moment, like you, I don't have any chickens. I have other building works going on, so a renewed chicken coop is low priority right now.
Build your next coop with 1/2" hardware cloth EVERYWHERE so noting can get in.

Busy lives sometimes get in the way. But, have an incubator with 12 white leghorn eggs. Due to hatch tomorrow(ish). Took them off the rocker on Saturday. Can't keep up with the demand for my white pigeons. The white 'dove' release business is booming here and all my youngsters are being snapped up while they are still in the egg.
Do you hatch the pigeons in the incubator too?

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
IMG_0484.jpeg
IMG_0487.jpeg
IMG_0229.jpeg

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Still here in Chickendom. Had 11 babies hatch this month.

just getting ready for spring. Hatching and building

Hello! Everything is fine in my little corner of the universe! My husband recently finished a very large fenced in area for our chickens to roam around in so they are all doing great! We are up to 21 chickens now thanks to chicken math :) Thank you for checking!
Thanks for stopping by for an update! Sounds like some happy girls!

Hello! since my first and last post things have gone to hell, even more. I researched quite a bit about feathery critter stuff. But life had other plans other than me starting my flock.
I Lost my morning star 🐶.
I'm losing.
Sorry for your loss hopefully you’ll be able to get started soon!

Hi there , Im always busy running my chickens sanctuary of 165 birds by myself.... But Im still around :) With Winter happening Iv got lots to do to fix and improve all the various coops and enclosures of my beloved birds
Thanks for stopping by with an update! That’s a lot of peeps! 🤩

I started my chicken journey as I have a physical disability and needed a new hobby and a little joy in my life.
I’ve now got 11, all of whom I love very much!

Unfortunately my illness has gotten worse and I’m in a lot of pain and can’t get down to them as much as I’d like.
But they’ve started hanging out by my door. Or they’ll see me come out and sprint up the yard to greet me.

I’ve lost many friends and family due to this illness as sometimes people don’t want to stick around when times get tough. That’s why I adore my animals so much.

When your life is controlled by pain, you come to enjoy the little things. They truly make my day.

Attachments

• IMG_4235.jpeg
    IMG_4235.jpeg
    775.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4321.jpeg
    IMG_4321.jpeg
    855 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4363.jpeg
    IMG_4363.jpeg
    786.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4902.jpeg
    IMG_4902.jpeg