Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Heyo, pretty much on auto-pilot right now. Got the coop and run hardened against predators (in the past multiple racoons, a mink, a labrador). Set up lighting over the winter for egg production and little or no deleterious effects to the ladies.

Looking forward to the end of freezing temps so I can swap out the heated 5 gallon bucket for water with my auto waterer. I've seen some production models but I just use a kitty-litter bucket, 4 nipples, and a swamp cooler float fill valve. Awesome not having to fill water all summer!
Spring has Sprung! Thanks for the update!

Well, many changes for us, been ages since I checked in from Kansas City! We bought 31 acres about 100 miles North, and about 18 months ago were up to about 4 roosters and 45 hens. So, no chicken tractor for 3 years now…

But, they slowed down a lot on laying since we bought them at 1 year old, and last fall the wife put the last of them into freezer camp. Much quieter around here now! We bought an incubator and had planned to start again this spring, but I changed jobs and working at a Turkey hatchery I am making excellent money and home every weekend now as a trucker… BUT, we can’t have any poultry or pigs! 😢😭 the one real negative about my job now!
Hoping in 2-3 years to have the farm paid off and better infrastructure and be able to quit and have more birds and pigs… we miss hearing all the animal noises. I think this summer, rabbit cages are going to be in the works. Hopefully some sheep this year or next too, but cows are too big for my wife on her own. So, we put our cows in with a friend’s herd of longhorns.
New land, built a new people house, garage has been started now, building beehives… still plenty of projects! :)

Well, many changes for us, been ages since I checked in from Kansas City! We bought 31 acres about 100 miles North, and about 18 months ago were up to about 4 roosters and 45 hens. So, no chicken tractor for 3 years now…

But, they slowed down a lot on laying since we bought them at 1 year old, and last fall the wife put the last of them into freezer camp. Much quieter around here now! We bought an incubator and had planned to start again this spring, but I changed jobs and working at a Turkey hatchery I am making excellent money and home every weekend now as a trucker… BUT, we can’t have any poultry or pigs! 😢😭 the one real negative about my job now!
Hoping in 2-3 years to have the farm paid off and better infrastructure and be able to quit and have more birds and pigs… we miss hearing all the animal noises. I think this summer, rabbit cages are going to be in the works. Hopefully some sheep this year or next too, but cows are too big for my wife on her own. So, we put our cows in with a friend’s herd of longhorns.
New land, built a new people house, garage has been started now, building beehives… still plenty of projects! :)
Thanks for the update! Congratulations on the new property and good luck with new projects! Lots of good information here even on bees!

I have started a bachelor flock. When I see roos that need rehomed, I try to help. And so far, the only problem is one little silkie who wants to fight me! There is always a bit of scuffling, to be expected, but after that is all sorted out, they get along fine.
I had made a post on a local poultry site, offering to take roos that need rehomed, and I got a few negative comments. But the majority of chicken owners understand that they will not fight for hens, if there are none.
Also, I am raising a couple baby geese. Hoping they will integrate well into the flock. I have only ever had ducks, so I am up for any advice.

I have started a bachelor flock. When I see roos that need rehomed, I try to help. And so far, the only problem is one little silkie who wants to fight me! There is always a bit of scuffling, to be expected, but after that is all sorted out, they get along fine.
I had made a post on a local poultry site, offering to take roos that need rehomed, and I got a few negative comments. But the majority of chicken owners understand that they will not fight for hens, if there are none.
Also, I am raising a couple baby geese. Hoping they will integrate well into the flock. I have only ever had ducks, so I am up for any advice.
Thanks for the update! I had a silkie like that…..10 ft tall and bulletproof 😂

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi good to here from yall yes love being part of the coop. Foxes got in & killed the last 2 of my pet speckled Sussex. So in Jan 2nd I picked up 7 rock bars & 3 brown & black ones now they should be laying any day. They were hatched 12/23...

FHi good to here from yall yes love being part of the coop. Foxes got in & killed the last 2 of my pet speckled Sussex. So in Jan 2nd I picked up 7 rock bars & 3 brown & black ones now they should be laying any day. They were hatched 12/23...
Sorry for your loss! Good luck with your new flock!

Back
Top Bottom