Checkout what today brought.....BEES(NEW VIDEO)

SamG347

Songster
12 Years
Mar 4, 2007
PA
I had my temporary hive sitting out my the chicken coop....with some comb and the sugar feeder from the previous group of bees....Also a bucket with the dead bees and some comb and such. Looked out there today....it's about 51-52 degrees and this is what I saw! I know it is too early for a swarm but I'm hoping this will improve my chances of a new colony moving in closer to April/May.
big_smile.png

http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/SamG347/PA Bees/?action=view&current=MOV03008.flv

Only got about 1 minute of video....and was moving around a lot trying to get some footage of the bees in flight.
Enjoy!
thumbsup.gif

**NEW VIDEO..I got today the hive was an absolute buzz!! I'm very much expecting to catch a swarm in this hive this spring!

http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/SamG347/PA Bees/?action=view&current=MOV03011.flv

Last edited:
Just wanted to add bees all left for the evening...I expect them back tomorrow if it is warm again.
big_smile.png

I want bees so badly here but just don't have the money to get started with a hive or two.

I hope you get that swarm to invade your hive and make a new home there.

Wow, they just came like that? ! We are looking to set up 2 or 3 hives here pretty soon. Do you have any tips for building hives?

we just some hives for sale here in our local craigslist...i was tempted! but i dont wanna get stung..
hide.gif

I actually got my hives off a friend for doing some landscaping work. I keep and will only keep Topbar hives. Both horizontal and vertical style. Many people start out with the "white box" hives aka Langstroth hives but there are soooo many things that have been proven to be bad about them for the bees that I can't justify it. Sure if you are trying to massproduce honey they will do it....but they are putting a LOAD of stress on the bees to make that much....you are cracking open and disrubting the hive every time you have to go in and check. And the bees are building comb/storing honey on a foundation that is sized WAY BIGGER than they would be making naturally. And with the topbars they make the comb naturally and it is less stressful on the bees and you this way.
Check it out...Google Topbar beekeeping. There are lots of good forums and info out there. Get a book...and my advice would be RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH and then design a hive to fit your needs. Thing is with the topbar hives if you fallow just a few basic steps you cant screw up!
thumbsup.gif

**BTW the honey bees do not just show up anywhere like that. I live on a mountain where someone else has hives up the way...and also there are probably a few feral hives scattered over the mountain. These bees are coming to feed on the sugar syrup I have inside the hive in feeder. Hopefully by showing them there is food and empty space there I will be able to get a swarm to move into there this spring!

I know what you mean about reasearch. My mother (who is doing this whole process) has read about 5 different books on bee keeping already. I'm sure whatever decision she makes will be a good one.
wink.png

I am certainly bee ignorant. But I have to ask. You spoke of your problem with "white box" hives and how they stress bees. Do you feel, or do some beekeepers feel, that this has anything to do with the drop in the number of bees we have seen in the past few years?

Back
Top Bottom