Cheese for the Chickens??

neckringer

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
I have a friend who works in a cafeteria whom gave me two five pound bags of mozerella cheese it has a little mold on it, She thought it would be a treat for my chickens. Is cheese ok for them to eat?

Wow, I need coffee! I read it as Cheese FROM the chickens... Scratched my head a bit.

Not to sound gross, but if it has 'a bit of mold', just cut 1/2 inch of off all sides of it and eat it yourself. Mold grows on surfaces and does not penetrate deep very well (besides, some of the best cheeses are mold cheeses (blue, camebert).

big_smile.png

Last edited:
My chickens have eaten plenty of mold. I love my girls but there is no way I waste perfectly good human food by throwing it on the ground for livestock to eat. Everything in moderation.

2 five pound bags - its probably shredded cheese - and it would be pretty darn difficult to remove the mold. Hence the person gave it away, I would think if it was possible to remove a moldy part by cutting it off, the first person would have done so.

We've got some cheese in our fridge that's all cut up for the chooks. I found it in the back of the fridge when I cleaned it last weekend and it was
sickbyc.gif

Chooks were happy!!

Used to feed our chicken all kinds of table scaps but egg laying was inconsistent. Local farmer gave me some advice to keep laying chickens on a well balanced layer-feed mix with all the necessary ingredients and my hens are very consistent now. Used to feel good recycling scraps to the chickens but less eggs. Now I just throw those scaps on compost heap. I really maintain the chickens for the eggs so I do my best to give them layer feed only.
But off course everybody's entitled to their opinion.

Back
Top Bottom