Cheese for the Chickens??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by neckringer, Jan 14, 2009.

1. neckringer

neckringer Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2008
    I have a friend who works in a cafeteria whom gave me two five pound bags of mozerella cheese it has a little mold on it, She thought it would be a treat for my chickens. Is cheese ok for them to eat?

2. tomcio

tomcio Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    Wow, I need coffee! I read it as Cheese FROM the chickens... Scratched my head a bit.

Not to sound gross, but if it has 'a bit of mold', just cut 1/2 inch of off all sides of it and eat it yourself. Mold grows on surfaces and does not penetrate deep very well (besides, some of the best cheeses are mold cheeses (blue, camebert).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    My chickens love cheese, but only in small amounts, I don't think giving them a lot of it would be good at all.

4. curliet

curliet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    I think you would want to remove the mold parts tho, it isn't good for chickens either.

5. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    My chickens have eaten plenty of mold. I love my girls but there is no way I waste perfectly good human food by throwing it on the ground for livestock to eat. Everything in moderation.

6. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    10 lbs of mozz sounds like people food budget relief to me, just discard the mold.

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    2 five pound bags - its probably shredded cheese - and it would be pretty darn difficult to remove the mold. Hence the person gave it away, I would think if it was possible to remove a moldy part by cutting it off, the first person would have done so.

8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    We've got some cheese in our fridge that's all cut up for the chooks. I found it in the back of the fridge when I cleaned it last weekend and it was [​IMG]

Chooks were happy!!

9. jhc

jhc Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2007
    Used to feed our chicken all kinds of table scaps but egg laying was inconsistent. Local farmer gave me some advice to keep laying chickens on a well balanced layer-feed mix with all the necessary ingredients and my hens are very consistent now. Used to feel good recycling scraps to the chickens but less eggs. Now I just throw those scaps on compost heap. I really maintain the chickens for the eggs so I do my best to give them layer feed only.
    But off course everybody's entitled to their opinion.

10. Joy1

Joy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Lancashire,England
    the blue cheese that we have here is eaten with mold on, gives it its distinctive flavour so yes the chickens get it too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by