Cherries

Definately second the cobbler idea...and am leaving now for my bowl full!!! Vanilla ice cream on top please!!
smile.png

This spring I canned:
cherry-almond jam
cherries
brandied cherries (for Thanksgiving!!)

I just saw cherries on sale in the paper this morning for $1.88/lb. Going to head down and pick some up to make cherry cobbler filling to can for this winter. Add that to my strawberry-rhubarb filling that's tucked away and we'll have some yummy winter treats.

I
love.gif
canning. My friends think I'm a massive dork.

Jenn, you just made me remember brandy soaked cherries for Christmas desserts like real black forest cakes loaded with cherry filling from the soaked brandied cherries.

Yes, an adult dessert, but you can make the kids something else.
wink.png

Ohhh... MP... I hadn't thought of a black forest cake with an adult filling!!

There are no kids in our immediate family yet, so that would be a fine dessert at Thanksgiving.
tongue.png

Think I'll go "check" on those cherries in the back of the fridge right now...

How about some "Cherry Bomb" (adult drink), we make it every summer. It is awesome and is sooo sweet and smooth served straight up or with your favorite soft drink.

1 lb of cherries pits removed (tart kind)

1 lb of rock candy

a fifth of your whiskey of choice. Our fav is Jack Daniels

Combine all ingredients and give it a stir. Store it in a cool dry place (we put ours under the kitchen sink) and stir every week for a month. Then stir once a month until Christmas. By Christmas it is ready to strain with strainer or cheese cloth and bottle.

We also save the "drunk cherries" and make adult chocolate covered cherries at Christmas time. Take the cherries and wrap in fondit then dip in chocolate and let rest for a week or two so the fondit inside can liquify a bit.

Last edited:
I made cherry mojitos last summer w/ mine. SOOOOO deliious but I have no idea what I put in it. (an adult drink)

Also, around here you can get cherry salsa! It's EXCELLENT but I don't have a recipe for it.

I'm sure you could google either of these recipes. But I absolutely LOVE the cherry salsa!

Cherries, mmmmm

I have a wonderful cherry tree. I usually freeze them, but this year I canned most of them. Super easy to do. I also made cherry jam and this was a first (I had made cherry jelly in the past). The Jam is the bomb, it kinda tastes like cherry pie!!!!!

I personally don't like eating bing cherries straight from the tree. It's pie or cobbler or jam! Enjoy and be lucky you have them!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom