Cherry season is here! I need recipes please!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by arabianequine, Jun 20, 2011.

1. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    I am gonna get some bing cherries this weekend. What ideas do you have to use them with?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  2. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    We have no shortage of those here in Michigan. I make jam with it that turns out excellent. I just use the recipe in Ball's Blue Book.

3. ImStillMags

ImStillMags Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Quote:If you have a dehydrator, dry some. They are wonderful in your cereal, or baked goods, etc.

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    If they are ripe and have nice flavor, you can make cherry garcia ice cream. Vanilla ice cream, halved cherries, and shaved chocolate.

5. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Best recipe I know is add a little sugar, a little cream and some teeth [​IMG]

6. arabianequine

Apr 4, 2010
    There are different kinds of cherries here. What are they to be used for? Good recipes for each if you know of any. We have pie cherries (well thats obvious), rainier, bing, and lamberts.

7. arabianequine

Apr 4, 2010
    I have bing cherries I pitted tonight for a cherry pie I am gonna make. I can't wait. I don't care for fresh cherries but I love cherry pie. I won't need much sugar with these cherries, which is good.

8. rachaelc

rachaelc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Newberg
    Last year I found a recipe on the internet for a spicy sour cherry chutney. Magnifico! Its great to use on cream cheese or pork tenderloins or any kind of grilled meat. I would type in sour cherry chutney on your search engine and peruse if this interests you. Bon appetit! [​IMG]
    Rachael C
    mother of all

9. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

My mom made some delicious low-sugar cherry jam. She used a recipe from the book "Summer in a Jar" by Andrea Chesman.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by