Chesapeake, Va

mcsale

Chirping
Jun 13, 2022
Asking for a friend… does the 6 hen limit include chicks and grow outs? Chicken math gets tricky when you don’t know if the chicks are pullets or cockerels, so you get extra just in case you have to rehome a few.

We don't live in Chesapeake, but my husband is a Hampton Roads real estate agent, so we have looked up the Chesapeake regulations. As far as I can tell, there is no exception for age.
f.
Excepting lots within the RE-1, Residential Estate District, which shall be subject to the livestock restrictions put forth in section 6-2101 of this ordinance; six (6) or fewer female chickens may be kept as an accessory use in all single-family residential zoning districts, subject to the following requirements: (i) the chickens shall be housed in a fully enclosed accessory structure that meets the requirements of subsections 14-102.B.1—6. set out below, and (ii) the accessory structure shall be located in a rear yard. Nothing herein shall be construed to permit the slaughtering of chickens on property zoned for residential use.

This is the link to the entire document: https://library.municode.com/va/chesapeake/codes/zoning?nodeId=ZO_ART14ACUSST_S14-101PEACUSST

That being said, I'm pretty sure some people exceed the limit for chicks and then re-home as soon as they know if they have boys. Are you part of the local FB group? Someone there might be able to give you a more complete answer :)

We don't live in Chesapeake, but my husband is a Hampton Roads real estate agent, so we have looked up the Chesapeake regulations. As far as I can tell, there is no exception for age.
f.
Excepting lots within the RE-1, Residential Estate District, which shall be subject to the livestock restrictions put forth in section 6-2101 of this ordinance; six (6) or fewer female chickens may be kept as an accessory use in all single-family residential zoning districts, subject to the following requirements: (i) the chickens shall be housed in a fully enclosed accessory structure that meets the requirements of subsections 14-102.B.1—6. set out below, and (ii) the accessory structure shall be located in a rear yard. Nothing herein shall be construed to permit the slaughtering of chickens on property zoned for residential use.

This is the link to the entire document: https://library.municode.com/va/chesapeake/codes/zoning?nodeId=ZO_ART14ACUSST_S14-101PEACUSST

That being said, I'm pretty sure some people exceed the limit for chicks and then re-home as soon as they know if they have boys. Are you part of the local FB group? Someone there might be able to give you a more complete answer :)
Thank you! I had looked for the regulations, but apparently not hard enough. They should post this in the FB groups lol maybe they did and I missed it. All I ever heard was 6 hens.

Back
Top Bottom