1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chest "bumping"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sunnydee, Aug 6, 2008.

1. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    Okay, my "girls" (at least that is what I was told) are starting to "chest bump" each other. They are 9 weeks old and just starting spending more and more time out in the run. Is this normal behavior for girls or could I have some roosters?

I plan on getting some pictures...my batteries are charging!

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My girls do that, too.

Normal pecking order stuff...

3. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Hey, Title IX says girls can play football and baseball, and my pullets act like a soccer team all the time. Chest bumps included! Enjoy!

4. sunnydee

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    Oh Phew! At first I just thought they were excited of their new run! Glad to hear it isnt "roo" behavor!

Thanks for the help![​IMG]

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Two of my pullets challenged our cats over the weekend. The cats, who don't speak chicken, were not amused.

edited for spelling

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    My DH sits and watches the brooder laughing at 2 of the 7-10 day old bantam cochin chicks chest bumping. They are both frizzles so it really is hysterical looking. Little curled feathers...squawking and chest bumping.

7. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Quote:Yep, perfectly normal!! The one that "wins" will end up with the best place on the roost and the right to peck at the others in order to get her face in the treats first!! [​IMG]....and if they are like mine, the "loser" will end up chasing the dachshund around when she gets near becasue she has no one else to bully, lol!!!! My dog is sooooo scared of Pixie!!!!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  8. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    yup normal and yet oh so entertaining hahaha:lol:

9. sunnydee

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    Yes it is funny to watch. I think I have two girls who want to rule the coop as they are the two who are always doing it. But then comes night time (pretty chilly here right now) and they all cuddle close to each other. So darn cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by