Chest "bumping"

sunnydee

Songster
11 Years
Jul 17, 2008
Maine
Okay, my "girls" (at least that is what I was told) are starting to "chest bump" each other. They are 9 weeks old and just starting spending more and more time out in the run. Is this normal behavior for girls or could I have some roosters?

I plan on getting some pictures...my batteries are charging!

Oh Phew! At first I just thought they were excited of their new run! Glad to hear it isnt "roo" behavor!

Thanks for the help!
hugs.gif

Two of my pullets challenged our cats over the weekend. The cats, who don't speak chicken, were not amused.

edited for spelling

Last edited:
My DH sits and watches the brooder laughing at 2 of the 7-10 day old bantam cochin chicks chest bumping. They are both frizzles so it really is hysterical looking. Little curled feathers...squawking and chest bumping.

Quote:
Yep, perfectly normal!! The one that "wins" will end up with the best place on the roost and the right to peck at the others in order to get her face in the treats first!!
smile.png
....and if they are like mine, the "loser" will end up chasing the dachshund around when she gets near becasue she has no one else to bully, lol!!!! My dog is sooooo scared of Pixie!!!!

Last edited:
Yes it is funny to watch. I think I have two girls who want to rule the coop as they are the two who are always doing it. But then comes night time (pretty chilly here right now) and they all cuddle close to each other. So darn cute!

Back
Top Bottom