aussiebushgirl

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 24, 2011
I'm really hoping someone can help me understand what may be going on. I noticed a week ago that my silver sussex girl's comb was flopping to one side, although a nice shade of red. Two days ago I treated the girls to raw pumpkin seeds, some still attached to the fibrous flesh of the pumpkin. My sussex made a grab for the seeds and ran away with a mass of seeds and fibers hanging out of her mouth. I noticed later on that she was standing in one position and dipping her head in a flexing motion like a duck about to duck-dive. I observed her all of yesterday and she was definitely off her food, and standing back from the others. She appeared reluctant to head into the coop last night, and although the coop had a thorough clean-out last weekend, and all girls were treated for mites, she appeared to be pecking under her wings. So I went out last night to the coop and doused all the girls again with powder.
After powdering her vent area, we uprighted her and my husband noticed that she had some yellow liquid coming out of her mouth. Sour crop! I couldn't smell any odor, but after researching online, I have brought her inside and put her into a crate for the day. I've provided only water with ACV, but she's not drinking.
That's when I noticed that whenever she inhales a breath (beak still closed), her chest seems to be making a contraction-type motion, like opening and closing our fists. It's a sort-of pump action style contraction. She has not laid down today, and she's very withdrawn. Again, I cannot hear any sounds coming from her when she contracts. Frankly I'm at my wits' end now. I phoned the vet this morning and they suggested I treat the crop first with fennel tea infusion, and then follow-up with Nystatin. But what if this is not sour crop, and a respiratory problem? Please can anyone shed any light on this for me, as I really need to jump on it before it worsens. (I've since noticed that another of my girls is holding back from the crowd, is not eating or drinking either. I'm hoping to examine her after she's settled down for the night.) Thank you all so much!

Sounds almost like she's got something stuck in her airway. Sometimes when you turn a chicken upside down stuff comes out of the crop. It doesn't always means there's trouble with the crop. I would offer her plain water, some chickens won't drink water with extra stuff added, so always give them the option in order to remain hydrated.

Hopefully someone more experienced can give you a suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom