Chest or Upright?

pop.gif

Now I really don't know which to buy. I'm 5'2" so I'm not that tall either and I have this visual of me getting stuck with my butt and legs sticking up in the air trying to get something on the bottom lol

I want to freeze alot. I have the 25 cc and then 4 turkeys, three of which will actually get frozen. Then I have a ton of squash coming and various berries and other fruits and veggies that I plan to vaccume pack and freeze. AND I think I may also be getting some rabbits for meat soon too...

I guess I'm heading towards an upright. Do they have removable shelves like a fridge does so you can make more room or what?

The only other good thing about chests is that they're cheaper on my local craigslist by quite a bit than uprights...
I wonder if I got a step stool and bent over if I'd make the bottom LOL Hope I don't fall in
gig.gif

Last edited:
I have a chest freezer, and like someone else said, use the crates. I used different colored crates for different things. One color for vegetables, another for beef, another for pork, etc... And obviously, make sure you or someone else can reach the bottom crate! I use it like a mini grocery store, take a basket and fill it up with the stuff I think I need for the week, then toss all that into the freezer that's part of the fridge.

I find that by keeping a written inventory of what's in my chest freezer and by clearly labelling everything, I don't have any problems. I'm also 5'11", so reaching the bottom of the freezer is not an issue for me!

Okay I have both, I have 7 kids, and I am only 5' 3". I love my upright, it just takes too much time to un-dig your food you want to cook every night. I would fill my chest up every month when I grocery shop and it would be such a hassle to get food the first couple of weeks every month. Now I have a upright and I know what I have and what I need to get every time I open the door. It is so much more convenient with the upright and isn't that the point? Right now my newer chest freezer is out in my hubbys shop holding winter clothes.

I would say it depends on what you want to use it for. We have both. An upright works great for veggies and stuff you want to freeze from the store. We use the chest ones we have for when we have a hog butchered or get a half a cow. They have the better space for bulk.

It is said that the chest type is more efficient and the upright a concession to convenience.

The chest type doesnt spill all the cold air on the ground when you open it as the upright does, thus it saves energy to some degree.

On these grounds Ill take the chest.

I've got a chest, but even tho it's more efficient (the cold air doesn't come rushing out when you open it) when I need a new one I'm going to get an upright. It's so much easier to get to stuff out of an upright.

Our upright has a large built in basket in the bottom and adjustable shelves. You can also add storage baskets to some shelves, if you put in a lot of odd shaped vacuum sealed bags that tend to slip around. You can even put them upright in a basket, like cards in a file. We usually flatten what we can in the bag, before sealing, but some things are lumpier.

Back
Top Bottom