Chesterfield County man held without arrest.

Quote:

Well if it's his mom then it must be true. A mom would never say anything to protect a child.

old.gif

The police cannot order a psych hold, but they can request one. A judge can also order someone involuntarily held.n As I've read the Virginia law, a judge has to order the commitment. None of the news coverage seems to detail anything; certainly not a court order of detention. Most say little more than "ex-marine detained involuntarily for facebook posts". I would like to see a full news account. I think there is much more to the story than is being reported.

Involuntary commitment is not easy, nor do judges send folks off to the loony bin willy-nilly.

http://askville.amazon.com/Involuln...y-Virginia/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=68100225

http://www.janpols.net/Chapter-7/3.3.html

http://jlarc.state.va.us/reports/rpt164.pdf

Yep, its not that easy to do an they all say that they went there to talk to him, that they did not have that judges order to go get him. Looks like a lot of cops in that video to just want to talk an the mom said they came strait in an arrested him. He may well be crazy but I am not seeing the do proses part until well after they had him in custody.

Quote:

Well if it's his mom then it must be true. A mom would never say anything to protect a child.

old.gif

More likely to be true than your wild guesses. She was there.

Do we know what he said to the officers ? If he showed he may do harm to himself or others they had a duty to detain him and take him to a mental health professional.

caf.gif

Last edited:
More likely to be true than your wild guesses. She was there.

I'm not making wild guesses. But everyone is saying they arrested him for his posts on Facebook. How do we know that ? Like I said earlier we don't know what he said to the police or others ? Do we know that it wasn't a neighbor that called or another family member ? There's enough not known that no one can say it was illegal.

What is known is they took him to a mental health professional that decided he needed to be locked up. And from the mental health reports a judge has decided he needs to be locked up for longer.

pop.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
If they had to take him to get evaluated that would seem to means they did not go see him cause a mental health person said to.
The family is saying he is fine so that would seem to mean they did not call them.
The FBI being involved would also imply it was about something said on the internet an not about health.

But thats just me.

Looks like they sent him in for a 72 hour psych hold, and then decided to commit him. I don't think there is enough information here to make much of an evaluation on the validity of that action. I do know that in most areas getting a psych hold isn't that easy. Eminent danger to themselves or others is usually the criteria.

Just remember the outrage with the Virginia Tech shooter that no one did something about him before he went on a rampage. And remember the Unibomber, caught because his writings were published, and his brother recognized them and had the courage to turn him in.
You have to be considered a danger to self or others, then meet medical/psychiatric criteria to be put on a legal psychiatric hold, and then to be committed by a judge.....Definitely a sign that he needed mental health care., You don't admit someone because the govt told you to, you admit them because it is medically necessary and they need treatment. I am glad that public safety was considered.

I think I read that the FBI and the SS were there as "observers". This seems strange to me also that both agencies were there and the local cops did the takedown.

Back
Top Bottom