Chic bator The adventure Comeing now to a BYC thread near you!! We have viens!!

If I could find one I might . I will check the doller tree. I will also have to watch the heat on the plastic I am not sure how to describe the thinness of this plastic its pretty thin and I would guess that the more watts and heat the more likely it would melt . But if I can find one I will sure try. It got up to 98/99 just covering part of the dome with the other piece of foil so my next thing I I will clear of a spot where I want the bator to stay permently and then anchor it there , the cord is so much heaver then the whole thing put together I will need to anchor it all up so it dosnt move , fall over ect . I will also be tapeing the cord in place in the notch on the bator itself as it keeps slideing if I move the bator and that causes the lid to move becuae it dosnt fit ONTO the bator snuggly it just sort of sits there.

In here I think I will go with button and cortunix eggs from my birds for my first test run. Right now its just got a scrubby in it to rais the therm to eggish hight.
After I hatch a time or two with it I might start trying some other eggs maybe some store bought or shipped ect.

Well I taped the cord in place in the little groove for it on the base added a little water in one of the foot wells and sat it in place on my desk and tapped down a part or the cord to the desk so it won't pull the bator over. It looked to be at 100 on the little therm it came with. So I will check it in the morning and see if its still at temp. Will also take the temp with one of my therms from the LG to see if the little one is accurate at all.

Last edited:
I put one of the other therms in there so far its reading 97.2 but I will let it rest for awhile I had to have it open for a bit to get the cord in thre and now the lid isnt sitting as flush with the base as it was cuase of the cord I may have to put the whole thing in there and see

adjusted the thermometers now the one that came with it is reading 101.5-102 and the didgtil one I put in theres is going between 100.7-100.9.
So what do you think are those temps acceptble for a little still air chic bator? Im gonna try calibrateing the didgetal and double checking that its more accurate then the other.

well I didnt have any crushed ice so I went with my way of telling if a therm is working or not . I know my body runs at about 97.8 yep Im cold blooded so I took my temp with a person therm and it said 97.7 so I then tried to take my temp with the therms Im useing for incubators . The didgital is about .3 degrees off that works for me and the one that came with the bator is about .8 off still not horrible considerin . The other degree or so was actually just that the therms were about 1/2 inch away from each other and aparently this little chic bator has tiny little micro enviroments. So as long as they both avrage 100-102 no higher no lower I will acept this as a temp range. I will watch all night and then if its still being good I will add a tad more water and eggs tammrow probly around 10 am or so . I dont like to add eggs to early or to late in the day cuase then they hatch and 3 am and I miss it or miss sleep
hmm.png

Well although the temp did drop a little during the night I think its stable enough to try and I will just remmber to turn on the heat a little tonight so the temp dosnt drop so much in the room. Its so crazy how many little diffrences there are in temp in just 1/2 inch diffrences in this little thing , I can be 102 and 1/2 inch away its 98 I am turning them often and moveing them around a little so each egg has exposer to diffrent areas. Im whatching it closely though , on the up side this little thing went back up to temp after I put the eggs in in like 15 minutes not bad for the little thing if you ask me.
I could fit more eggs in there but I feel that they should be in the middle ish of this side of the wire not to close to the outer rim and not to close to the light .
Here they are with the thermometer that came with it. And one of my digitals.
I set this little tiny fart type quail egg just to see if I could get it to hatch.

Does anyone else out there have these incubators or have had them and used them , I would love to hear your feed back about them from personal experiance not just stuff you heard about from somewhere, I am trying my best to do a scientific fact based go at this just for information. Thanks
I tried one several years ago, were talking like 10-15 years ago! It was my aunts, I think my aunt did hatch things out of it but I don't remember for sure. She let me have it or borrow it. She had a bigger one that she used by this time. I knew nothing of hatching eggs at the time. I stuck in a chicken egg and I'm not even sure if I turned it. For all I know the egg might not have been fertile. Knowing me it might have been a grocery store egg LOL. So you know how that turned out. mine didn't hatch.
I remember that the plastic lid was so thin and had cracked, there was a piece of scotch tape on it from top to bottom on one side. I looked for that incubator a couple of years ago. Thinking I might still have it.

So I've seen them, used it. But that's all the input I can give.

Curious if you get yours to hatch. If so, I may have to dig into more boxes looking for it.
Good Luck

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom