Chicago Chicken Laws/Ordinances

atimme

Songster
9 Years
Feb 3, 2010
Chicago
Anyone have a copy of the chicken laws in chicago? It is impossible to find on the city's website. I have a secure and extremely clean outdoor coop with three hens. Someone just told me it was illegal to keep chickens outdoors? Really? I did my research and found several people around Pilsen (mexican neighborhood) who keep chickens outdoors and have not had problems. if you have a spare copy of the ordinance, please let me know.

Anna

Here you go:
http://www.amlegal.com/library/il/chicago.shtml
See the health and safety section.

Chickens are legal in Chicago but you cannot possess birds meant for slaughter without a license (requires health inspections of your slaughtering facilities which can't be your house due to zoning regulations...)

I know roosters are not allowed, but cannot find the specific ordinance that prohibits it.

Every once in a while, someone will try to pass a law to make chickens illegal in Chicago, but it gets shot down pretty quickly due to the tradition of raising chickens by the Hispanic population in Chicago.

Thanks, I just found the complete ordinance and there isn't anything about not keeping them outdoors. Also I live in the hispanic neighborhood of West Pilsen/ Heart of Chicago at 18th and Damen, there are several families with chickens nearby. I think it's just my landlord changing his mind about our pet rules. Going to move them to the backyard and if I get cited, will fight the ticket. I've called the Animal Control office inviting them to come out and inspect if they want. Anyone have a similar experience?
Anna

Chickens are completely legal in Chicago. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Check out the Chicago Chicken Enthusiasts google group. I am sure there are people there who will be better equipped to answer your questions about chicken legality in Chicago.

Good luck,
Corey

If it is your landlord, he has his rights to say what kind of pets you are allowed to have. However you can offer some "pet deposit" money for his trouble if you can put your chickens outside in your backyard. And when you leave, you can clean up the place just as good it was never there or lose the deposit for him to clean up after your chicken and the coop area.

Chickens are legal in the town of Chicago.

Yes, landlords can set any requirement they choose about animals; however, if you already have a lease, I doubt he can change it without your consent--at least not until it runs its course. Any changes would certainly require written notice. Depending on how they are housed outdoors, chickens can and will destroy grass and other landscaping, which may be his concern.

We have a lease with no pet regulations other than dog poop should be picked up. Lease is through August and by then I'll be in a new place.
smile.png
Zero landscaping so no problem there, they are completely contained and the hutch is on concrete. I doubt there is any grass on our block. I spoke to him this week and he said they were fine, he was just concerned about not being able to lease the place in front of our coach house, so we moved them out of sight and the new tenant is actually excited about them.
Thanks everyone for your advise!
Anna

Roosters aren't technically illegal here, but "nuisances" are, per the municipal code--and, unfortunately, in our close city confines, roosters almost always end up irritating neighbors.

Pity! I'd love to hatch my own chicks!

Anyone have a copy of the chicken laws in chicago? It is impossible to find on the city's website. I have a secure and extremely clean outdoor coop with three hens. Someone just told me it was illegal to keep chickens outdoors? Really? I did my research and found several people around Pilsen (mexican neighborhood) who keep chickens outdoors and have not had problems. if you have a spare copy of the ordinance, please let me know.

Anna

I don't believe it's illegal. They can take cold weather.
Just don't throw em outside if they haven't got adjusted to the weather. They could get sick

Back
Top Bottom