lavendermarie

Songster
May 12, 2022
I saw one of my Polish chicks pecking at my lavender orpington’s toe. Upon further inspection I realized it was red and bleeding! The bleeding has stopped, it wasn’t a lot of blood, but the toe is bright red and I was wondering if at this age if that’s a big issue? If so, is there anything I can do to help her?

(as of now, no chicks seem to be pecking her toe anymore.)

06C973A8-890A-47F8-98A0-B53C243A84D6.jpeg

Attachments

• 5DABEEE5-8C59-4AF9-A502-38BD61F8AD85.jpeg
    5DABEEE5-8C59-4AF9-A502-38BD61F8AD85.jpeg
    319.9 KB · Views: 1
I would think she's ok, but she will be at risk of the other chicks pecking it. I'm trying to remember (so please do a verification search!) I think it is blu-kote that will keep others from seeing the red and pecking it. You could also use a band-aid or vet wrap and cover it. It will be awkward, but it will work. Just be gentle with the toes, you can look up bumlefoot treatment where they wrap the feet. I also had a chick 2 years ago that I had to wrap her feet for awhile and a lady had put some info on the post to wrap her.

Looking at the photo again, is that blood or did she get some ink or dye on her?

I would think she's ok, but she will be at risk of the other chicks pecking it. I'm trying to remember (so please do a verification search!) I think it is blu-kote that will keep others from seeing the red and pecking it. You could also use a band-aid or vet wrap and cover it. It will be awkward, but it will work. Just be gentle with the toes, you can look up bumlefoot treatment where they wrap the feet. I also had a chick 2 years ago that I had to wrap her feet for awhile and a lady had put some info on the post to wrap her.

Thank you so much for this!! I will look into this!

Looking at the photo again, is that blood or did she get some ink or dye on her?

It’s not anything that’s on the outside of her toe, it’s the color as if there’s irritation or a broken blood vessel or something? I’m really confused looking at it.

It’s not anything that’s on the outside of her toe, it’s the color as if there’s irritation or a broken blood vessel or something? I’m really confused looking at it.
Hmm, I'd be tempted to Blu-Kote it. It would keep it from being pecked and also provide some wound treatment. Vetricyn would be another good option but wouldn't hide the red color.
Do you have a red heat lamp on the chicks?

Hmm, I'd be tempted to Blu-Kote it. It would keep it from being pecked and also provide some wound treatment. Vetricyn would be another good option but wouldn't hide the red color.
Do you have a red heat lamp on the chicks?
I just put some Vetricyn on it, thank you for the idea! And I actually do have a red heat lamp on the chicks! I’m looking at it now and it seems to be making it far less apparent than I thought.

Back
Top Bottom