Chick about to hatch and so many questions!

laura2806

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2017
Tamworth, UK
hi!

I have an egg starting to hatch this evening (day23 so was getting worried!) and we're not sure whether to remove from the flock or not.

So we have 4 bantam hens and one rooster (he was sold as a she!) so we hadn't really planned on this but the hens have other ideas! So we decided to let them sit and see what happened. Well now we have an egg about to hatch and more due Saturday/Sunday.

We have a brand new small animal cage so we will be able to bring the chicks if needs be but really don't know what is best.

The rooster is a bugger and the not friendliest and the hens aren't too cuddly atm neither, so I'm worried he harm the chick when it's out. Should we remove the egg before this point or leave with the hens and see what happens? I really don't want it to come to any harm and want what's best.

Any advice is very much apprecied.

Thanks!

hi!

I have an egg starting to hatch this evening (day23 so was getting worried!) and we're not sure whether to remove from the flock or not.

So we have 4 bantam hens and one rooster (he was sold as a she!) so we hadn't really planned on this but the hens have other ideas! So we decided to let them sit and see what happened. Well now we have an egg about to hatch and more due Saturday/Sunday.

We have a brand new small animal cage so we will be able to bring the chicks if needs be but really don't know what is best.

The rooster is a bugger and the not friendliest and the hens aren't too cuddly atm neither, so I'm worried he harm the chick when it's out. Should we remove the egg before this point or leave with the hens and see what happens? I really don't want it to come to any harm and want what's best.

Any advice is very much apprecied.

Thanks!
I'd say the best thing you could do is isolate the mother and eggs where she sits. Fence off the small section of the coop where she is, enough for her and babies to be secure from anyone going in or coming out. Have their own water and chick feed available inside their mini enclosure. This will help isolate the feed they need as well!

Thanks for your reply.

The problem we have is we have 3 broody hens all sharing the nest and eggs.

I have just been reading another post which says either leaving them in or separating is fine and there can be problems either way and each have their advantages and disadvantages.

I'm not sure how we could give them a separate run with the set up we have tbh, not where they have their own sleeping and roaming areas anyway.

See my confusion?

Thanks for your reply.

The problem we have is we have 3 broody hens all sharing the nest and eggs.

I have just been reading another post which says either leaving them in or separating is fine and there can be problems either way and each have their advantages and disadvantages.

I'm not sure how we could give them a separate run with the set up we have tbh, not where they have their own sleeping and roaming areas anyway.

See my confusion?
I was thinking just a separate area IN the coop until the hatch is done and a day or two after to judge the flock's reaction ... with three broodies, that would be tough. Fortunately, with THREE protective mothers, I don't think the rooster would be inclined to get too close!

Ah I see! Sorry!

Went and had a check they're very protective as you'd hope, bit more shell is chipped away and can see little chick breathing, super cute!

Rooster was not happy with me being near his baby and made sure my hand knew! Gave me a good peck and left a nice little bruise!

I'm hopeful he'll be a good dad and we'll have 3 good mum's too!

Thank you for your time :)

Ah I see! Sorry!

Went and had a check they're very protective as you'd hope, bit more shell is chipped away and can see little chick breathing, super cute!

Rooster was not happy with me being near his baby and made sure my hand knew! Gave me a good peck and left a nice little bruise!

I'm hopeful he'll be a good dad and we'll have 3 good mum's too!

Thank you for your time :)
My rooster is aggressive towards people. But LOVES his hens! We were within a hairs' breath from culling him, but a bad hatch saved him ... if you like, here are the details ...

http://mydouchebagrooster.blogspot.com/2017/02/coq-au-vins-sentence-of-execution-is.html

My rooster is aggressive towards people. But LOVES his hens! We were within a hairs' breath from culling him, but a bad hatch saved him ... if you like, here are the details ...

http://mydouchebagrooster.blogspot.com/2017/02/coq-au-vins-sentence-of-execution-is.html

I just read your post on coq au! So amazing he did that!

We did have our baby hatch along with another the following day, they are almost 3 weeks old now and turning into scruffy teenagers!

We did however remove them from the flock at around 5days old, they could get into the run but not back into the coop, we had lots of rain and then I noticed one of the hens pecking and pulling at one and as we won't be keeping, we took them away, I almost cried as those hens were heartbroken, until they spotted treats!

Our rooster, chickaletta, attacks as soon as looks at us, I'd love to be able to be in with them or let the kids near without fear of him hurting anyone, he's made the hens stroppy too So we need to work on taming them I think!

Back
Top Bottom