Chick acting lethargic

Lobo123

Songster
Apr 11, 2020
Oregon
Hi, I'm very worried about my flock right now and today I noticed a sick chick. The chick was perfectly fine before but is now acting very sluggish. Won't walk. Won't eat. Won't drink. Barely stands up and not very alert at all. It seems to have some weird head movement like slowly dips its head down and looks up. I'm really worried and I had to dip his beak in the water for him to drink. His eyes also seem a little watery. Also, no visible injuries.

The chick is a mix from my flock, no less than two weeks old. He was with his mother in the coop alongside the rest of the chickens. It's important to note that I recently received a hen who was not quarantined properly.

Any information I missed out I'll gladly answer.

Can you post some photos of the chick, it's poop and eyes?
A video of actions can be helpful at times - upload to youtube and provide a link.

What is the chick eating?

2 weeks, sluggish, not walking, not eating/drinking, weird head movement - I would first try vitamin B-Complex (1/4 tablet) and Vitamin E (400IU) daily for a few days. Get the chick hydrated, then offer some wet chick starter. Bits of scrambled egg daily would be good for the chick as well.

Not sure about the watery eyes - have you looked for any peck marks - possibly pecked in the eye?
Not being able to walk - any chance the chick was injured/stepped on by hens.

Yes, I will post pictures of its poop when it does and eyes.

The chick is eating country companion 20% all flock feed. Its pellet but I grind it up to proper size for the chicks. Where can I find this medication? At my local feed store?

I'm really hoping the chick was just pecked and is a little shocked.

Yes, I will post pictures of its poop when it does and eyes.

The chick is eating country companion 20% all flock feed. Its pellet but I grind it up to proper size for the chicks. Where can I find this medication? At my local feed store?

I'm really hoping the chick was just pecked and is a little shocked.
You can get Vitamin E and B-Complex at Walmart/CVS, etc. in the vitamins section.

How is the chick today?

Back
Top Bottom