Chick adoption help

Ashlea

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 3, 2014
Thomasburg Ontario
Hello everyone,
My buff Orpington just recently hatched for then the first time. Sadly out of 9 eggs only one made it.

I had a local farm give us 3 chicks who's mother had died shortly after her hatch and I was hoping our momma hen would adopt them as they hatched close to the same day as our chick.

I snuck the chicks under her last night and checked on them a few times before I went to bed. All good.

I woke up at the crack of dawn to check again, babies we're quiet and still under momma. About 30 minutes later the new adoptees we're out and momma was still sitting with her own chick. I put the babies back under her and she cooed to them and sat happily on them.

My concern is the babies aren't bonding with momma.

Any advice? Thanks in advance!

I’d just watch her to make sure she doesn’t attack them. But sounds like she’s fine with them. Do they listen to her? Follow her directions? So, if you were to put a plate or shallow bowl of a treat momma loves, would she call them over, and would they listen?

If she keeps them warm and aint attacking they will be fine but me personally I let my hens hatch there chicks then I take them and raise them up to 6 or 8 weeks myself in the house before putting them up in there coop. Thats a option you could do too.

Back
Top Bottom