chick all puffy like a ballon

pinkado

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 10, 2011
hello all,
i have a little silky chick, about 8 weeks old, shes fine, perfect, apart from it seems, she becomming a baloon, seems, her lower left leg the skin has lifted and has air under it, i checked, and theres no fluid from what i see, when it chirps i can kinda hear i echo in the air pouch, i was tempted to pop it, but i dont wanna hurt the little fella, other than the air, the chick is fine, eating well and popping normal

Bump*, any ideas anyone, its been 3 days and no real change, shes still kinda like a ballon, but not showing signs of feeling sick

seriously no one seen or heard of this?
the air sack is still there, like from her chest down her left side to her thigh,but shes not ailing from it, just looks a bit odd

Ive had this problem before. i researched it , but i can't remember the name. i remember it is normally caused by ingury. you can pop it and risk the problem reoccuring and infection, or you can let the air asorb into the shin. if the air sac gets any bigger or limits the chick from eating/ drinking i would consider popping it. ( if you pop it use a hypodurmic needle, ones that are hallow. so the air comes out easier.)

Last edited:
I'm so sorry I didn't see your post sooner. That's a very easy problem to solve - it happened to one of my chicks once I guess due to some injury. It's not a disease or anything so don't worry. Just take a needle and pop it like a balloon. It's very easy and doesn't hurt them at all. Once it's popped, the skin will just go back down to the body like normal, with no visible sign it ever happened in the first place. :)

ETA: sorry I didn't see the post from silkie-feet. I didn't even think about it causing infection to pop it. Mine was puffed out to the point it looked like a puffer fish, with the skin totally see-through it was stretched out so much. Freaked me out - so I know how you feel!

Last edited:
yeah, this seams to happen every other time i try to raise chicks.
he.gif
if it limits feeding/exercise i go ahead and pop and risk infection. but until then it should reasorb into the chick.
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom