Chick and Mom together HOW LONG???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by katness, Mar 7, 2009.

1. katness

katness Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2009
    Chico,ca
    I have a chick who is about a week old and I have the mon with it. When can I put the mom back outside and the chick will be fine alone inside. it was the only on that hached out of 6 eggs.

2. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

If it's just the one chick i would leave it with mom.

3. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    I would leave the chick with the mom too. One chick alone will be lonely. If that is not going to work for you the chick will fine if you have it in a brooder with proper heat for the chicks age.

4. minifarm8

minifarm8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Hagerstown, MD
    I have two chicks outside with momma. They hatched there and are 3 weeks old now doing great. They were out walking around in 20 degree weather! Any reason you don't want the chick outside with momma?

5. katness

katness Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2009
    Chico,ca
    There are cats outside that want chick dinner!

6. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:let them out, once momma gets hold of the cat if it gets too close, kitty kitty will get sick every time he THINKS about chicken [​IMG]

chickens raise thier chicks for up to 6 weeks I think, maybe more, one chick alone won't learn how to be a chicken like it would with momma.

7. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    In spring/summer when its warmer I take chicks away from momma about 5-6 weeks old. In winter/fall I leave momma and chicks together till spring. Being a lone chick it will be very lonely being by its self. Chickens are happier with another chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by