chick attacked in shock

lissalischicks

Crowing
8 Years
Jan 31, 2016
Los Angeles, California
My 4 week chick was attacked and I am not sure if the way she is acting is normal. My chicks were outside for some warmth and sun and when I turned my back for just a second a hawk came down and took one of the chicks. I screamed and yelled and the hawk miraculously dropped the chick ( it was about a 10 foot fall i think) and she appears to be not hurt. She can walk, her wings appear okay and no blood on her. I am sure she is scared but now I am concerned. She won't eat or drink and it's been about 8 hours since this has happened. I have fed her some water( with vitamins and electrolytes) and she has drank the water I had fed her. I initially put her with the other chicks but the other chicks were business as usual and she was trying to sleep and was being constantly bothered. She is now separated.I put water in with her and some food but she just stands and nods off.

Is this normal and when do I get REALLY concerned.

Please help I feel like a horrible person for letting this happen.

If she has no internal injuries (which she may well do) she is likely to be in shock and you have done all you realistically can already. Just keep trying to feed / water her and keep her under close observation.

Don't beat yourself up about it - whats done is done and all you can do is learn from the experience and move forwards.

Good luck
CT

So I thought I would give an update. My chick is finally doing better. She is now eating a drinking albeit very timidly. Hopefully she will do better and there is no injury to any other area of her body I cannot see. On a side note: I think she lost her voice as she cannot cluck even though she is trying.

So I thought I would give an update. My chick is finally doing better. She is now eating a drinking albeit very timidly. Hopefully she will do better and there is no injury to any other area of her body I cannot see. On a side note: I think she lost her voice as she cannot cluck even though she is trying.

Well good job you! Maybe she snookered her voice temporarily with all the screeching she must have done?

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom