Chick behavior - odd one out

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cluck love, Aug 21, 2010.

1. cluck love

cluck love Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2010
    Northeast - very rural
    I am brand new to raising chickens and have so many questions I don't even know where to start! We have four RIRs that are now just two weeks old and seem to be adjusting to life outside the shell well. It is very addictive to just watch and observe them for great lengths of time, they all seem to have their own unique personality. However, out of the four there seem to be one that doesn't mingle with the other three as much. She (Matilda) sets herself apart from the others, even when I place my hand into their brooder with a small amount of feed in it, three will come running over, start pecking away, and hop into my palm, while Matilda is hesitant. Is the pecking order already established? Is she at the bottom or the top? Also of note, Matilda is a bit larger than the rest, is it possible she actually is a Matty?

2. pontoosuc

pontoosuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Richmond, MA
    [​IMG]

I like to spend my free time with my chickens, or here on BYC!! Very addicting to say the least!

Time will tell with you chicks but some of them take a little bit longer at things than others.
    Probably a bit too early to wonder about sex.
    Post some pics when you have a chance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by