Chick being attcked by hens. What to do??

mimismountain

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 2, 2014
I brought the chick in & put in box. Next day brought another chick for company. After 3 days, last night, put both under hen sitting on eggs this morning same chick was peeping & was attacked. Other chick fine, running around with other chicks I brought chick back in. Need advice!

At three days old they may have been too old to imprint on the hen. At any rate it sounds like she hasn't accepted them so I would not try to give them to her again or she might kill them. I'm not sure if you brought them back inside or not but you will need to do so and brood them yourself.

Thank you for responding. Yes I brought the chick (Henry) back in. The other chick that I brought in to keep him company was fine, running around with the other chicks. There are 3 hens in the chicken house and a dozen chicks. I have no idea which chicks go with which hen. Little Henry was still in the corner where I left him,/her, peeping loudly. Two hens went after the poor little chick. I snatched it up as soon as the hens went on the attack.
I think what happened is kids visiting gathered the eggs but they didn't follow instructions to pick up eggs from only one next. They picked up eggs from the floor behind the door. I checked the eggs with a flashlight bathe first egg was clear and the next two had chicks so I put them back, possibly in the wrong place, because this little chick hatched behind the door with no hen around. A little piece of shell was still stuck. It was shortly after that when a hen attacked it viciously.
Do you think I should put another chick in with it so it won't be lonesome? It's very quiet. It's so cute.

Back
Top Bottom