Chick born with twisted (almost 180) leg... help?

Smithjm27

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2022
I'm a brand new chicken momma- first ever batch and had 8 out of 9 eggs hatch, and 7 of 8 perfect babies.

But that one... pipped fine but couldn't seem to turn to unzip the shell. After HOURS of watching this poor baby try and try to hatch, I decided to help. It was starting to dry and I was concerned it'd get stuck. (And it was very sticky)

I had removed shell, but ended up having to moisten and peel back the membrane some also...

I left the chick to hatch what was left. And it was able to push the shell apart. But that was all. You could see immediately that one of its legs wasn't positioned correctly, but I left it to sort itself out after hatching. At about 12-18hrs post hatch it was very active and vocal, but made no attempts to stand it was dragging/flopping itself around with its one good leg.

I tried bracing for splay, but since the rotation is inward it really didn't help.

Today I went all out and built a chick chair and abduction brace.

I'm just not sure what to do or if I'm even helping at this point. It is taking hydro chick solution from a syringe and had a good poop, its otherwise acting healthy. We're now about 48 hrs post hatch.

Looking for pointers. Thank you all!

Attachments

• 20220331_214000.jpg
    20220331_214000.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 20220331_215854.jpg
    20220331_215854.jpg
    645.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220401_092546.jpg
    20220401_092546.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220401_131133.jpg
    20220401_131133.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220401_092546.jpg
    20220401_092546.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220401_131133.jpg
    20220401_131133.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 17
I'm a brand new chicken momma- first ever batch and had 8 out of 9 eggs hatch, and 7 of 8 perfect babies.

But that one... pipped fine but couldn't seem to turn to unzip the shell. After HOURS of watching this poor baby try and try to hatch, I decided to help. It was starting to dry and I was concerned it'd get stuck. (And it was very sticky)

I had removed shell, but ended up having to moisten and peel back the membrane some also...

I left the chick to hatch what was left. And it was able to push the shell apart. But that was all. You could see immediately that one of its legs wasn't positioned correctly, but I left it to sort itself out after hatching. At about 12-18hrs post hatch it was very active and vocal, but made no attempts to stand it was dragging/flopping itself around with its one good leg.

I tried bracing for splay, but since the rotation is inward it really didn't help.

Today I went all out and built a chick chair and abduction brace.

I'm just not sure what to do or if I'm even helping at this point. It is taking hydro chick solution from a syringe and had a good poop, its otherwise acting healthy. We're now about 48 hrs post hatch.

Looking for pointers. Thank you all!
There’s SO many YouTube videos, I used a rubber band for one of my chicks, or vet wrap, or even a bandaid, make sure to check it tohugh every other day to make sure it isn’t tight since they grow so fast! Good luck with the little baby!

There’s SO many YouTube videos, I used a rubber band for one of my chicks, or vet wrap, or even a bandaid, make sure to check it tohugh every other day to make sure it isn’t tight since they grow so fast! Good luck with the little baby!
It's not splayed... I did a ton if YouTube watching... thenpicture kind of makes it look splayed. The left leg is fine. In the picture were it looks splayed, thats the right leg... twisted over to the left side

It's not splayed... I did a ton if YouTube watching... thenpicture kind of makes it look splayed. The left leg is fine. In the picture were it looks splayed, thats the right leg... twisted over to the left side
It might be a tendon issue, one of my chicks has that, it healed over before I could fix it and I just used those methods to keep it in the right position. Sorry I couldn’t help more

Could this be slipped tendon? I'll post a link to my thread. I attempted treating a chick with slipped tendon that I found at the feed store. Its full of links and great details. Unfortunately Ebony didn't make it, but that thread is very helpful.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-with-one-splayed-leg-slipped-tendon.1514549/
If it is the tendon that you need to get it placed, wrapped, and the chick immobilized quickly. If it doesn't heal it will be very painful for the chick, and the humane thing at that point is to euthanize.
You still have time, but you do need to take action quickly.

It might be a tendon issue, one of my chicks has that, it healed over before I could fix it and I just used those methods to keep it in the right position. Sorry I couldn’t help more
I appreciate all and any thoughts!

I wish a rubber band or splint could work... I feel awful strapping the poor thing to a piece of foam

I appreciate all and any thoughts!

I wish a rubber band or splint could work... I feel awful strapping the poor thing to a piece of foam
Yes, but you’ll feel worse killing it. My first ever chick i culled was sick, and the second could not walk, it’s easier to fix now than later or even cull later. Good luck again!

If it is the tendon that you need to get it placed, wrapped, and the chick immobilized quickly. If it doesn't heal it will be very painful for the chick, and the humane thing at that point is to euthanize.
You still have time, but you do need to take action quickly.
I'm not sure if its a tendon or not. If it is, it's higher up in the "knee" joint. Both legs feel the same when placed in correct position. There is no swelling or redness. The chick attempts to use the leg and there appears to have full motion when in correct position... it just can't seem to keep it in correct position

Is there a way to tell?

It gets stressed/yells at me from me handling it to put the brace on/off but doesn't appear to be in pain otherwise.

It actually pecked at some starter feed and is drinking well from a syringe while I held it, in the brace.

Back
Top Bottom