Chick breathing heavily

metcarl

Chirping
Jan 31, 2018
I have several chicks that I incubated and hatched that are four weeks old tomorrow. There is one chick that is much smaller than the others (same breed) and seems to be breathing heavier than the other chicks. Not open-mouthed or in distress, but it just takes her a lot more effort. Her whole body moves as she breathes. I haven’t separated her and none of the other chicks have shown any symptoms. She has been about the same for at least a week or two - not getting any worse or better. Pretty sure she’s eating and drinking ok. She may stay under the heating plate more than the others.

What breed is she? Araucanas that have 2 copies of the ear tuft gene usually die prior to hatching, and I've heard that the ones that do live usually die due to some breathing issue, ill have to do more research, as I have never had any myself.

It’s an Olive Egger or Mint Cream Bar (another green egg layer from chicken scratch poultry).

I’m just trying to figure out what I should do for her - try antibiotics (but I would’ve thought she would’ve been worse by now if it was an infection), let her keep going and see what happens, or go ahead and cull since she’s not thriving. I’m leaning towards just seeing what happens because she doesn’t seem to be suffering, at least not obviously.

Back
Top Bottom