chick breed. unknown father

vempst

In the Brooder
Feb 7, 2024
hey guys, sorry im doing a double forum post as i just posted a question about a different one of my adult chickens, i figured i'd also ask about my first hatch. it's a product of my hen (suspected silver laced cochin) and either one of my roosters, which is a golden buff silkie named sam, and a silver laced wyandotte named isaiah. we've seen sam make CONSTANT moves on my hen everyday without fail, but the baby i hatched is starting to look more like isaiah whenever he was a kid. so im just not sure, as i suspected a silkie cross cochin would look different. any advice would be appreciated, thank you!

Attachments

• 0DCBD199-1FE4-48F7-809E-A4316CE124CD.jpeg
    0DCBD199-1FE4-48F7-809E-A4316CE124CD.jpeg
    472.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 3EC47DF8-80F0-45FF-BA0E-DDFB5F516854.jpeg
    3EC47DF8-80F0-45FF-BA0E-DDFB5F516854.jpeg
    570.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 7A2544B9-5668-43D0-808B-C44120109900.jpeg
    7A2544B9-5668-43D0-808B-C44120109900.jpeg
    629.1 KB · Views: 20
  • A63FF81F-31F9-4003-9429-0F91EC489C87.jpeg
    A63FF81F-31F9-4003-9429-0F91EC489C87.jpeg
    807.9 KB · Views: 21
How many toes does the chick have? Usually silkie mix chicks have 5 toes on each foot.
Also Isaiah is a silver Seabright, not a Wyandotte. He is absolutely gorgeous though!
oh shoot youre right.. i mustve confused the two breeds when researching, thanks for correcting. and the chick has 5 toes, now that i look. i dont know, just doesnt look like a silkie chick in my opinion. thank you for your help! i appreciate finding out this mystery. ive only explored chickens for about a year and a half and i have a lot i dont know.

The chick has a single comb, and so does the Silkie. I think he's the father. If the Sebright was the father the chick would in all probability have a rose comb.

I can see the confusion, though. The chick's color pattern looks more like the Sebright, but the mother has a very similar pattern, and I think that is where the chick gets it from, not the father. It could also look very different once it feathers out more.

hey guys, sorry im doing a double forum post as i just posted a question about a different one of my adult chickens, i figured i'd also ask about my first hatch. it's a product of my hen (suspected silver laced cochin) and either one of my roosters, which is a golden buff silkie named sam, and a silver laced wyandotte named isaiah. we've seen sam make CONSTANT moves on my hen everyday without fail, but the baby i hatched is starting to look more like isaiah whenever he was a kid. so im just not sure, as i suspected a silkie cross cochin would look different. any advice would be appreciated, thank you!
The black silkie skin carries through and can be used as a sex link. I don't remember wether the father or the mother needs to be the silkie to get the sex link, though. The 5 toes of a silkie CAN but doesn't ALWAYS carry through. Check for the extra toe. The baby does NOT have the black skin, so do a byc search on silkie sex-link mix to double check on that. If it's with a silkie father, it doesn't confirm the silkie yet, but does eliminate the black skinned baby gender. That means that the baby is either the non-black skinned gender OR is the sebright's offspring.

The straight comb on the silkie indicates he's not pure either (silkies are supposed to have walnut combs). The sebright COULD be only half rose comb. If so he would still show the rose but could throw straight comb babies.

If the baby pops ANY gold tones, the the silkie is the father. The silver from mom will was the gold down so will likely be more yellow toned.

Last edited:
the chick has 5 toes, now that i look. i dont know, just doesnt look like a silkie chick in my opinion.
If the chick has 5 toes, it should have at least one parent with 5 toes. You can go count toes on everyone-- if the Silkie is the only one with 5 toes, then he is the father.

When you cross a Silkie with a normal-feathered chicken, you get chicks with normal feathering. The gene for Silkie feathering is recessive (doesn't show if the chick only inherits it from one parent.)

The chick has feathered feet. It should have at least one parent with feathered feet. If the mother has feathered feet, then the chick could have gotten the foot feathers from her. But if the mother has clean feet, then the chick must have a feather-footed father (Silkie, not Sebright.)

Watch the chick as it grows, to see if it grows a crest of feathers on the head. If it grows a crest, then it should have a crested parent (Silkie, because the hen and the Sebright rooster do not have crests.)

(I just went through some of the traits that have relatively simple genetics, which makes them handy for figuring out parentage.)

Back
Top Bottom