Chick cannot walk or stand

aude

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2016
Hello,
I have a chick that hatched late Tuesday night/Wed. morning. I removed him from the incubator Thursday. He cannot walk or stand and kind of waddles/rolls when he needs to move. When he is sitting his wing appears at an odd angle. He also has what looks like a dried piece of the umbilical cord still attached - not sure if this is significant. Because it is difficult for him to navigate to the food I have been removing him to give him food and water every few hours. I have seen him eating on his own a few times. He also has had at least one bowel movement. I have attached some pictures. I tried making a splint for splayed leg using a straw and rubberband but he seemed very uncomfortable (loud peeping) and still was not walking after 24 hrs. As you can hopefully see in the first picture, his right leg seems bent or out of place - it crosses like that automatically when he is on his back.

Was hoping for some advice - I was thinking about resplinting legs, but what would be the best method?
Thanks in advance.

Are there any braces/corrective splints i could try first? I was reading the "poultry podiatry" page and there are several different options depending on the nature of the injury...just not sure what the nature of the injury is in this case...

As I said, he is able to eat/drink when food and water are brought to him and very friendly...he will wobble up to any human hand. would really like to try something before giving up...if possible, of course.

Are there any braces/corrective splints i could try first? I was reading the "poultry podiatry" page and there are several different options depending on the nature of the injury...just not sure what the nature of the injury is in this case...

As I said, he is able to eat/drink when food and water are brought to him and very friendly...he will wobble up to any human hand. would really like to try something before giving up...if possible, of course.

I can't tell what the issue is from the photos, either, but maybe trying to put him in a sock sling so he can strengthen his legs would be worth trying? There's some info in this thread that may be helpful: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/169957/baby-chick-cant-stand-up. This thread also has good pics: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/713499/my-chicken-sling-pic.

Best wishes to you and your chick!

Thanks for the resources. I will try to rig something like that up tomorrow for my little guy. We saw a vet today who said he thought the chick had some kind of bone deformity. He put me in contact with a lady who runs a rescue for chickens with special needs and/or chickens who have been abandoned. I am going to reach out to her to see if she has any advice.

Back
Top Bottom